Basic Mod Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Basic Mod Questions

Just getting ready to start modding a 2010 6.4 with 59k on the clock. This truck is a daily driver that spends most of its time on dirt roads and towing. So reliability is key. I spend all my time researching 6.0 stuff for mine so any quick advice I can get from you guys who know what you're doing is great.

I'm looking at a downpipe back exhaust, egr delete, and tuner, and possibly some more add-ons like an intercooler or cold air intake. I'm not necessarily strapped for cash on this one, but the best bang for the buck is always the best.

Downpipe Back Exhaust
This one is pretty straight forward, but whats the advatage to bungs? I've been looking at the silverline kit, any others I should be looking at?

EGR Delete
I'm lost on this one. I'm not sure I understand the wastegate function on these and wether or not its something that would be beneficial. Recommendations?

Tuner
I'm looking for a tuner that can compinsate for the dpf delete, egr delete, tpms delete, and correct tire size. Not looking to push this truck for big power at all, probably looking at a 150 or less daily driver tune and tow on stock or no power with just the delete software in place. Also I think it's a pain on the sct to load up tunes all the time. I want something that changes tunes much quicker that has gauges too. What dash mount options are there?

Other Add-Ons
I see a lot of spearcos floating around on other 6.4s, benefits? I was thinking about a cold air intake too, but I think I'll just mod the stock airbox. Anything else thats worth while?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayweber24 View Post
Just getting ready to start modding a 2010 6.4 with 59k on the clock. This truck is a daily driver that spends most of its time on dirt roads and towing. So reliability is key. I spend all my time researching 6.0 stuff for mine so any quick advice I can get from you guys who know what you're doing is great.

I'm looking at a downpipe back exhaust, egr delete, and tuner, and possibly some more add-ons like an intercooler or cold air intake. I'm not necessarily strapped for cash on this one, but the best bang for the buck is always the best.

Downpipe Back Exhaust
This one is pretty straight forward, but whats the advatage to bungs? I've been looking at the silverline kit, any others I should be looking at?

EGR Delete
I'm lost on this one. I'm not sure I understand the wastegate function on these and wether or not its something that would be beneficial. Recommendations?

Tuner
I'm looking for a tuner that can compinsate for the dpf delete, egr delete, tpms delete, and correct tire size. Not looking to push this truck for big power at all, probably looking at a 150 or less daily driver tune and tow on stock or no power with just the delete software in place. Also I think it's a pain on the sct to load up tunes all the time. I want something that changes tunes much quicker that has gauges too. What dash mount options are there?

Other Add-Ons
I see a lot of spearcos floating around on other 6.4s, benefits? I was thinking about a cold air intake too, but I think I'll just mod the stock airbox. Anything else thats worth while?

Thanks in advance
For the exhaust some of the tuners don't require bungs. I have an h&s & it does not require them. It also has options for dpf delete, egr delete, tire size correct & I thinks it can disable the tpms. When you pick one of the tunes either mild or hot damm you have 4 adjustable settings with each tune that can be made on the fly. I think the guages on the mini are great but i have seen some people that think they are small. I am plannning on getting an h&s intake. I haven't done much research on the intercoolers.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 AM

i also run the h&s minimaxx and i love it. A tuner, exhaust, intake and egr delete and you are set. i would also recommend a coolant filter. If you get an intercooler look at the banks one. Its a good price and i have heard good things about it.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Subbed for info.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How's the mini maxx on the tranny? Is it custom or canned tunes? How hard is it to setup a pre-turbo pyrometer? Can anyone give some insight on the benefits of an egr wastegate?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayweber24 View Post
How's the mini maxx on the tranny? Is it custom or canned tunes? How hard is it to setup a pre-turbo pyrometer? Can anyone give some insight on the benefits of an egr wastegate?
I would think it is dependant on how you drive it. Beat the hell out of it & your tranny won't last. Mind you even beating the hell out of a stock truck would probably be hard on the tranny too. H&S has canned tunes I guess you would call them. Also they have 6 different tranny tunes as well. Not to sure about the pre turbo pyro. From what I understand a wastegate isn't necesssary unless you are going to be doing some major mods and high boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.