Have an H&S, where to draw the line? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have an H&S, where to draw the line?

I've had the tuner installed on the truck for about a week and ran it on easy first for a bit and then took it to the mild setting for almost the whole time. I live in the country and haven't had to tow my construction trailer much and rural and city driving I've been getting around 17 mpgs on the hot or 250hp setting and when I hook up to the trailer I was recommended to run lower and have been running the 80hp. I've been really good at not runnign it much over 2k and thats where the mpgs are coming from. Every now and then I'll really get on it just because it puts a smile on my face!

I read that running the higher hp tunes its prob good to stud the heads. My question is with how i've been driving, pretty easy with very little getting on it running 250, should I be nervous about blowing a head gasket? Or is that talking about running a higher tune constantly getting on it with the exhaust temp constantly high? I dont want to be doing any costly repairs if I can prevent it?

Also what is the difference between the hd lower hp tunes and the mild higher hp tunes? is it just the hp or do they shift differently ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I beat on mine with the hot damn 300. Don't abuse it every time you drive it and you will be fine.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk450er View Post
I've had the tuner installed on the truck for about a week and ran it on easy first for a bit and then took it to the mild setting for almost the whole time. I live in the country and haven't had to tow my construction trailer much and rural and city driving I've been getting around 17 mpgs on the hot or 250hp setting and when I hook up to the trailer I was recommended to run lower and have been running the 80hp. I've been really good at not runnign it much over 2k and thats where the mpgs are coming from. Every now and then I'll really get on it just because it puts a smile on my face!

I read that running the higher hp tunes its prob good to stud the heads. My question is with how i've been driving, pretty easy with very little getting on it running 250, should I be nervous about blowing a head gasket? Or is that talking about running a higher tune constantly getting on it with the exhaust temp constantly high? I dont want to be doing any costly repairs if I can prevent it?

Also what is the difference between the hd lower hp tunes and the mild higher hp tunes? is it just the hp or do they shift differently ect?
As long as you are driving sensibly you should be fine. I am running the hd300 hot on the highway. Most of the time I keep it on mild or wild in the city but every once in awhile I turn it up to hot. I don't step on it at every light but once in awhile I give it a little more . When I get home on days of I am hooking up to my trailer & will probably start of in mild & see how the temps look and then go from there.

I am not sure of the difference in the tunes or if shifting changes with mild as compared to hd. Mine did not feel like it changed from one tune to another.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM

its really hard to say. like super duty said drive sensibly and it should be fine but theres guys who beat there truck on a regular basis and dont seem to have to many problems then theres guys who drive there truck like there 70 and completely stock and blow them. Dont worry about it too much head gasket failures are fairly rare on the 6.4. I read to much on this site and now instead of enjoying my drive im paranoid and every noise im panicking...My truck is in the shop as we speak gets arp studs and gaskets. I only run KEM 175 I think ive done 2 WOT runs in the 4 years ive owned it and mainly highway kms. Only had the 175 on for about 3 months now. If its going to happen it will happen dont sress to much just drive sensibly. Gotta giver sometimes! Sperduty thanks for the info on that shop in edmonton im located in calgary tho but I appreciate it.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM

For the last year, I have had my Black Maxx set on HD300 HOT and i haven't looked back once. It gets the best MPG, and it feels the best to me. I drive my truck like I have a brain, and not like a 16 y/o hot head lol, and I have been fine. I definitely get into the throttle here and there, but its not every day, and definitely not at every stop light. These motors are really strong! They are not prone to blowing HG's like the 6.0. I wouldn't go any higher than the HD300 on HOT with basic bolt on mods.... this tune is pretty much the thresh hold for reliability. If you start upgrading turbos, and big items then its time for studs. I won't be doing studs unless I already have the cab off for major mods or repairs.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Yeah, dont plan on doing any big upgrades. However, how much roughly is bolting the heads? I guess that would be the only other thing I would do other than the egr delete to make it bullit proof.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM

They are "bolted" with head bolts from the factory... Head studs is what your referring to I'm guessing. The studs themselves start at about $700 and go up from there. It's a cab off job despite the fact that some say it can be done one at a time with cab on. ( I would never do this on my truck due to possibility of compromising the gasket). Most places charge atleast $1500 to lift and replace cab on top of the labor for whatever you want done. The shop near my house charges $2k just for lifting cab. It gets very expensive quick!!
That's why I'm either gonna do some major upgrades all at once, or wait untill I have a major repair... Or both lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM

You should be fine with the 250
Old 06-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
its really hard to say. like super duty said drive sensibly and it should be fine but theres guys who beat there truck on a regular basis and dont seem to have to many problems then theres guys who drive there truck like there 70 and completely stock and blow them. Dont worry about it too much head gasket failures are fairly rare on the 6.4. I read to much on this site and now instead of enjoying my drive im paranoid and every noise im panicking...My truck is in the shop as we speak gets arp studs and gaskets. I only run KEM 175 I think ive done 2 WOT runs in the 4 years ive owned it and mainly highway kms. Only had the 175 on for about 3 months now. If its going to happen it will happen dont sress to much just drive sensibly. Gotta giver sometimes! Sperduty thanks for the info on that shop in edmonton im located in calgary tho but I appreciate it.
Agreed. I see a lot of people who run their trucks on hot programs and say they beat on it and don't have problems and then there are people like me who blow a HG running mostly mild tunes. When I blew mine, I didn't have a H&S. If it is going to go, it is going to go. Drive with some sense and you wont likely have a problem.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFeverDisease View Post
They are "bolted" with head bolts from the factory... Head studs is what your referring to I'm guessing. The studs themselves start at about $700 and go up from there. It's a cab off job despite the fact that some say it can be done one at a time with cab on. ( I would never do this on my truck due to possibility of compromising the gasket). Most places charge atleast $1500 to lift and replace cab on top of the labor for whatever you want done. The shop near my house charges $2k just for lifting cab. It gets very expensive quick!!
That's why I'm either gonna do some major upgrades all at once, or wait untill I have a major repair... Or both lol.
I agree with pulling the cab if you ever do studs and gaskets. Right now, there is a national shortage of good ole ARP 2000s so they are about impossible to find which would leave you with Elite's 1722s at the price DieselFeverDisease mentioned. If ARP ever produces a new batch and there isn't a shortage, you can get them around $500 (I have seen them as low as $480 and as high $599). Labor rates will vary some depending on where you live. I have never priced replacing the stud/gaskets on a truck that hasn't blown a HG already (which adds quite a bit to the price), but on average, studs and gaskets on a truck with a blown gasket will run you around $3600 to $4400,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.