Best tuner for manual trans? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best tuner for manual trans?

Hey ya'll. I've got an 08 f350 reg. cab dually with 6 speed manual in it. what's gonna be the best DPF/EGR delete tuner for a dd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

I use a H&S with a custom KEM tune
Old 06-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Your options are wide open to be honest. No trans tuning for manuals, so you're looking at ECM tuning only. It comes down to price and what you're looking for. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Go for H&S and get some custom tunes. I have a spartan and not happy I should have gotten H&S.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK so H&S, wish i could find a black max instead of a mini. and I'm curious bellyboat, what it is that makes you unhappy with the Spartan. Have you ran both?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh yeah get the black max if you can.. I have seen a few used ones forsale in the past.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You should answer his question, "bellyboat."

I'm curious as well. Anything to better our product. I like constructive criticism.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrjck View Post
Hey ya'll. I've got an 08 f350 reg. cab dually with 6 speed manual in it. what's gonna be the best DPF/EGR delete tuner for a dd?
For a daily driver the H&S XRT Pro is an excellent value.
Unfortunately it doesn't have any gauges but unless your running high HP tunes it's not a big deal.
You can find the XRT pro used for about $500 and if you want to be able to have gauges or do some data logging then get a DashDaq ... Which you should be able to find used for $300-400.

I've run both the Spartan and XRT pro. KEM tunes on each as well.
I prefer the H&S with KEM tunes but the H&S tunes are also good. I use a DashDaq to watch pids.
My Spartan tunes had an extremely aggressive and sensitive throttle and the EGR would run all the time on any tune. I spent 9 weeks trying to get them to fix the issues with no luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Premium Member

I got a handshaker too. I know you said your truck is a DD, but knowing your specific goals is important before deciding on a programmer. Like Jeff said, our opportunities are completely open since we don't have to worry about trans tuning. For example, if you plan on running programs around 550 HP, you will have to replace your clutch unless you never get on it. Do you tow? Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with either the H&S or Spartan. There are a handful of people who have had a problem with either one, but my observations have been most people are happy with either (especially when you take trans tuning out of the equation).

I am pretty sure Spartan still has the fastest tune "canned" tune (the 310). I have also heard a lot of great things about the 210 Tow tune. The Spartan definitely has the best monitor. H&S gives you shift on fly on the Black or Mini. Also, the MMC will be released soon for the Black and Mini. I will be interested to see what exactly the MMC will let us do.

I have never run a Spartan but have run SCT and H&S. SCT offers the most opportunities if you are going to run custom tunes (KEM, Gear Head, Innovative). Personally, I didn't like my SCT unit and did have some issues at times with it, but I have kept it in case I decide to run custom tunes from Innovative or Gear Head (KEM is offered for the H&S also). I hated that the SCT gave some readings in metric and some in standard and I hated the monitor in general.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[QUOTE=08stroker250;3132960]You should answer his question, "bellyboat."

I'm curious as well. Anything to better our product. I like constructive criticism.[/

Just change your fuel filter...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.