First time 6.4 owner looking for advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First time 6.4 owner looking for advice

When I was in high schhol my dad built a ridiculous 7.3 and since then I've waited to get a pad well my time has come and I settled on a 6.4. I was thinking dpf cat delete, intake, and Spartan but I have no idea so what do you guys think I should do to gainpower, mpg at times, and keep the reliability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The combo you listed with head studs, an EGR cooler delete, intake elbow, CAC pipe, and 4 downpipe would be a cool running and reliable setup. You would also have 550-575 horsepower on tap.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM

I didn't realize I'd need head studs on a 6.4. Also what's a CAC pipe. Sorry for being a newb
Old 06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonny832 View Post
I didn't realize I'd need head studs on a 6.4. Also what's a CAC pipe. Sorry for being a newb
You really don't need head studs like you would in a 6.slow, but you start pushing it with the higher HP tunes and there is a good chance you will blow your head gaskets
Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 AM

Hmmm I don't want to drop 5k on the build so.idk
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Let's Run'em

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TwinTurboStroker
Quote:
Hmmm I don't want to drop 5k on the build so.idk
Any one of our vendors can get you set-up nicely for just $1500. In your original post, you mentioned something about a "wicked" 7.3......well if you want a "wicked" 6.4, Jeff was simply mentioning what you would have to do it make a "wicked" 6.4 and reliable. You can have a very nice, quick, and reliable 6.4 with a simple tuner, dpf delete and a intake of your choice
Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboStroker View Post
Any one of our vendors can get you set-up nicely for just $1500. In your original post, you mentioned something about a "wicked" 7.3......well if you want a "wicked" 6.4, Jeff was simply mentioning what you would have to do it make a "wicked" 6.4 and reliable. You can have a very nice, quick, and reliable 6.4 with a simple tuner, dpf delete and a intake of your choice
O that makes sense now...thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I want wicked ha that was a nightmare on driveline parts and a headache to run right all the time. Quick question: why does deleting the dpf make it non street legal?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
O that makes sense now...thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I want wicked ha that was a nightmare on driveline parts and a headache to run right all the time. Quick question: why does deleting the dpf make it non street legal?
Because deleting the DPF/Cat is removal of the emission system that was installed on your truck. Depending on where you live may help you decide. Where I live, we have emission tests so I have to swap the system out every other year so they can do the test.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You don't need studs, its possible that your could blow a gasket but its no where near as likely with a 6.4 as it is with a 6.0. I've had mine deleted since new and it now has 182K on it on stock bolts, larger turbo and minor fuel up grades. '

Its just more of a precautionary thing, you could do the tuner, intake, exhaust and deletes and then save up for doing studs down the road. Your not likely to have a head gasket failure unless you just beat the ever loving snot out of it and abuse it to a ridiculous extent. Mines been beat on every now and then and has held up quite well.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I mentioned studs because you mentioned reliability. You can run bigger tunes on a 6.4 without the need for studs but you can also push the limit with bigger tunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.