08 6.4 filter back exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4 filter back exhaust

I was wondering if anyone had installed a 5" filter back exhaust on their 6.4 powerstroke? I would like to do a full dpf delete eventually but due to warranty/money issues am not ready yet. However, I would like to make my truck sound a little better if possible, and am thinking about installing a 5" filter back kit, that way when I do the full dpf delete half the system is already there. Let me know what yall think.

Also, is anyone running the volant cold air intake system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

save your money on the exhaust and intake... they're not going to do anything on a stock truck
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
save your money on the exhaust and intake... they're not going to do anything on a stock truck
What he said ^^. a filter back exhaust isnt going to make a difference in sound or performance. Put that money aside for when your ready to delete the DPF
Old 06-20-2012, 06:05 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I disagree with both of the other guys. I did the exact same thing you are thinking about doing. I bought a 5" filter back system (no muffler) and an AFE stage II cold air intake. They definitely pepped the truck up and I picked up about 1-2 MPGs out of it. But I guess it depends on when you think you are going to do DPF/ CAT delete and tuner. If it's going to be a while then I wouldn't hesitate on the CAI and exhaust. If you plan on doing it fairly soon then I would wait and get a package deal and save some $$. As far as the CAI goes. AFE and S&B are really the only way to go on a 6.4.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it would be at least a year maybe two untill i get around to the deletes. The truck has an extended warranty from Ford on it and i dont really want to void that, so i was thinking just a filter back pipe and intake shouldnt be a problem, and at least i will be able to convert back to stock easily if need be. also, i will have a head start on parts i plan on buying anyway. its just so hard to have my truck sit there completely stock.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy1491 View Post
it would be at least a year maybe two untill i get around to the deletes. The truck has an extended warranty from Ford on it and i dont really want to void that, so i was thinking just a filter back pipe and intake shouldnt be a problem, and at least i will be able to convert back to stock easily if need be. also, i will have a head start on parts i plan on buying anyway. its just so hard to have my truck sit there completely stock.
I always thought that the louver things on the tailpipe had something to do with the regen process. Maybe transfering heat away somehow or something like that. If you remove that section of the tailpipe will it affect anything? Maybe not just a thought though just in case.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy1491 View Post
I know what you mean! Mine didn't stay stock very long! The only issue I had with mine was when I had about 4k left on warranty my truck started blowing white smoke every once in a while. I took it into the dealer and they said I had a cracked DPF and since I had the cold air intake on there they wouldn't cover it under warranty because they said that could cause the DPF to crack... I thought it was a bunch of BS but hey I'm just another ignorant customer! So that is my only word of caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I always thought that the louver things on the tailpipe had something to do with the regen process. Maybe transfering heat away somehow or something like that. If you remove that section of the tailpipe will it affect anything? Maybe not just a thought though just in case.
All the louvers do is help keep the exhaust cool during regen. When you do a DPF delete these louvers are no longer necessary. I know the MBRP systems have the louvers built into the actual tailpipe but I bought a Diamond Eye system because it had the louvers built into the tip so that when I did the delete I could get a new tip and be done with it. I think Flo-Pro has the louvers in the tip as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronmcclure View Post
I know what you mean! Mine didn't stay stock very long! The only issue I had with mine was when I had about 4k left on warranty my truck started blowing white smoke every once in a while. I took it into the dealer and they said I had a cracked DPF and since I had the cold air intake on there they wouldn't cover it under warranty because they said that could cause the DPF to crack... I thought it was a bunch of BS but hey I'm just another ignorant customer! So that is my only word of caution.

All the louvers do is help keep the exhaust cool during regen. When you do a DPF delete these louvers are no longer necessary. I know the MBRP systems have the louvers built into the actual tailpipe but I bought a Diamond Eye system because it had the louvers built into the tip so that when I did the delete I could get a new tip and be done with it. I think Flo-Pro has the louvers in the tip as well.
Oh yeah I knew when you had a delete they weren't necessary but I was just wondering if it would affect something since he isn't deleting the dpf but getting rid of the tips.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
Oh yeah I knew when you had a delete they weren't necessary but I was just wondering if it would affect something since he isn't deleting the dpf but getting rid of the tips.
Ben @ Rudy's told me that if you don't have the louvers and your truck goes into regen at a stoplight and there is a car next to you, it could melt their bumper.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronmcclure View Post
Ben @ Rudy's told me that if you don't have the louvers and your truck goes into regen at a stoplight and there is a car next to you, it could melt their bumper.
haha. That would suck for them. Ok though so it doesn't affect your own truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.