Loosing boost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loosing boost

2008 F350 with 6.4 Complete stock exhaust and air box removed. Installed AFE airbox. Using H & S tuner set to delete and mild as my objective is better fuel mileage. In the past week, 4 times after travelling 60 and 100 miles respectively, engine was idled for minute or two to cool down. Vehicle was shut off for a half an hour to possibly a couple of hours each time. Upon restarting, I had no boost. Reset tuner to stock, then back to delete gave me my boost which is lower than when using the stock air filter. This also cleared "Check Engine" light as it normally should. While driving the boost works proper. I removed the Afe air box. The turbo spins free by hand with no scrapes, screechs etc. The turbo linkage moves freely. All sensor connections are on and the ones removed from the stock exhaust are plugged into the wiring harness and zip tied out of harms way. The vehicle had worked for a couple of weeks before this malfunction started. No other mods to this vehicle.
I re installed the factory air box and I have my boost back which is higher than what I had when using the AFE air box. One suggestion presented to me was with the AFE, my turbo is running lean and could result in engine damage. This is one reason I switched back to the stock air box and to see if I would still have the no boost problem.
Any ideas what I may not have set properly or is there a software update I may need? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Loosing boost update: Returned to stock air box and two road trips with no boost problem. All hose clamps were rechecked upon installation as were all visible engine sensors. Today I re installed the AFE air box, checking turbo for free spin by hand as well as the linkage. Re checked all hose clamps and sensor connection. Everything appears normal. Taking the truck for a short five mile run, the boost is normal and increases when using passing gear as it should. I have a few trips planned, so will monitor the boost. The boost worked normal the first while with the AFE air box then it wasn't there upon start up.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: I did a trip yesterday, approximately 100 miles, AFE air box on, my boost worked as it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.