H&S milage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S milage?

I recently purchased a mini max, flo pro 4" to 5" turbo back and afe stage 7 intake in hopes of improving performance, reliablity and mostly milage. I've been running it on the 'mild' tuning in hot for the last 4 tanks of fuel. Performance has a huge difference, reliability time will tell and the milage...well I'm sad to report I'm seriously dis-appointed. After months of reading the forums and seeing alot of testimonials of huge milage increases I'm left unsaticfied. I usually got between 500-550 km before needing to refuel pre-dpf delete and now fifth tank in I'm in the red at 450km?! I know what your thinkin- lead foot. Admittedly the first two tank yes, the last few driving no different than pre-delete(mild) to see what kind of fuel savings I would get. Am I being impatiant, will I see increases over time? Is the HD 300 that much better? Do I need to request their older tunes? Sorry for the long sob story fellas but this guy needs to see milage improvements. Oh all driving is 35% in town 65% highway. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I see 13-15mpg hand calculated in town with moderate driving empty. I see 15-18 hwy with moderate driving empty. Heavy driving, MPG's go out the window. MPG isn't that significant. Tuning/deleting is more for longevity/reliability. If you drive like a grandma, your numbers will significantly increase. Drive her like your supposed to, they will stay at about the same. Others will have different experiences, but these are mine.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an SCT Livewire Extreme and am disappointed in the mpg after delete as well. Tried every tune from tow to extreme and barely break 15 mpg. Driving is mostly 1/2 city, 1/2 highway, very rarely over 60mph. Guess that is still respectable for a HUGE blocky truck. I have factory 20" rims and 305/55 10 ply Mickey Thompson ATZ's and 373 gears. I think that could hinder my mpg a little vs someone who is running 18" rims with the factory narrow rail car tires they put on them with 355 gears. Talked to my boss and he claims he gets 17mpg in his new 2012 6.7L F-250 same driving he did with his 08 6.4 which was getting like 13.5 stock, no delete. He claims the 6.7 has 323 gears in it. Hope he doesn't plan on towing much.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having owned both if mileage is your concern you should be driving a 5.9 Cummins. Nothing I have done to this truck has even come close to approaching the mileage I got with my 2000 Dodge which was pushing about 450hp.

I pulled our 14 x 7 box trailer last week and couldn't top 13 with it empty on the highway, I routinely got 17 loaded in the Dodge and it pulled a lot better. I am running the Mini Max with the delete pipes in place and the best I get is around 18 all highway empty. Maybe I should pull the engine from my Dodge (still sitting in the driveway, the truck is crumbling around the engine) and put it in the Ford!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Don't you worry about it

I had the exact same outcome. What I have gathered is that people lie about there mileage. Pre H&S 9-10 city 14-15 hwy post H&S 10-11 city 15-16 hwy. I dont really care because you cant have the baddest truck on the road and expect great mileage. I will say I found the best mileage running the wild on the hot damn tunes.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would like to submit a bit of information in regards to fuel mileage as I have the H & S tuner. 1)Canadian gallons equal 4.54 litres as compared to U.S. gallons which egual 3.78 litres. 2)Trucks on the Canadian side seem to be getting higher mileage per gallon, this is due to a larger gallon. 62 mile per hour U.S. equals 100 kilometer per hour Canadian.
Not condeming anyones driving, but here are a few things that mileage depends on: 1)it takes several miles for the engine, drive line (rear ends, transmission) to come up to normal operating temperature. 2)using cruise where one slows to a restricted speed (through a town etc. on the highway) then instead of using the foot feed to gradually return to normal speed, the return to cruise is selected where upon the RPM ramps up to return to set speed. 3)constant passing. 4)bucking wind. 5)driving at a higher rate of speed, over 60 mph or 100 kms. even if at a legal speed limit. On average this is where the better fuel mileage is obtained in relation to speed, even a bit slower may be benificial. 6)pulling any type of trailer and the higher and wider the front the more restriction. 7)altitude (mountain or higher hills driving). 8)tire inflation (low tire pressure creates more drag or resistance). 9)mechanical condition of the vehicle. 10)tuner setting. 11)city driving versus highway driving. This applies to all makes and models of vehicles.
Not condeming raised or high lift vehicles as I have had them to, but raising the vehicle causes more wind drag underneath.
The DPF and CAT delete with the H & S tuner has helped improve fuel mileage and over time as your truck reprograms itself to show it does not require extra fuel for regeneration etc. mileage will improve. I have not used the other tuner brands mentioned in the forums but feel these will do the same will very little difference.

Last edited by justlearning; 06-03-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I get solid 13's and am hooked to the trailer about 50% of the time and I don't do hardly any highway driving. Little bit here and there my lie-o-meter is about spot on average with my hand calculated results. The meter shows 13.3 mpg. Before dpf delete it read 9.8 mpg but I never hand calculated with the dpf on there because I knew it was sucking the fuel down. I wasnt expecting my 7k pound truck to get 20mpg but Atleast get what my 6.0 got so I am happy. The record with my 6.4 is 15 mpg but I dont think I did much towing that tank.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I guess I have solved some of my problem. When I bought the truck I had been using Diesel Kleen with every tank for milage, lubrication ect. About a month before I put the new goodys on the truck I had switched to Howes Diesel fuel conditioner. I had noticed I was getting worse milage over that month but just figured it was do to it going in to regen all the time. The last two tanks I switched back to Diesel Kleen and instantly noticed better fuel economy. Last weekend I went up to Edmonton for the weekend drove in city ect than back to Red Deer. Hand calculated I got 17.2 mpg over the weekend (converted over from metric) Pretty stoked. I guess Howes doesn't agree with this rig.
Has anybody else had noticeable results from any particular fuel additive?
Old 06-06-2012, 08:21 AM

I've had my 08 for a year now and i'm finally getting ready to tune it. It is frustrating when my buddies 03 5.9 cummins that dynoed 829 at the wheel got 17.9 hand caculated and I got 15.2 at 70 mph stock hp. He followed me to the beach last summer and i always needed fuel.

I really would like better fuel economy with a little more power but people are reporting so many different results. I have 3:73s so i'm not expecting to get what some people are getting with 3:55s but i would like to see 14-15 city and 17-18 on the highway.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya the problem with owning the 5.9 cummins is then your driving a dodge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.