Need some advice please. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some advice please.

Im lookin for some advice because I am somewhat new with the 6.4. Im familiar with duramaxsbecause family members drive them but not so much the powerstroke. im about to bite the bullet on a 6.4. looking at a few that have around 40k miles on them. anyways im tryin to plan ahead and come up with a game plan.

what would be the best set up for what ill do with it. 75% daily driver, 20% hauling anything from atv trailer to a 32 foot gooseneck stacked high w/ usually 17 round bales which are about 1k lbs a piece. and 5% having the pedal to the floor, balls to the walls trying to embarrass some d maxs and other diesels. mainly looking for performance for clean/strong towing and an efficient/ powerful daily driver. not looking to do anything major like tranny builds or anything. looking for a setup for a full exhaust, some type of tune/programmer, and intake and anything else necessary, on a budget!

from what ive read im thinking: 4 or 5 inch exhaust. (in your opinion which is better?) S&B intake, and H&S minimaxx. most likely be runnin 34-35" duratracs for tires, leveled, air bags in the rear. (nothing too high)

hows that sounding? anything im missing or should plan for or look out for?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMUND View Post
Im lookin for some advice because I am somewhat new with the 6.4. Im familiar with duramaxsbecause family members drive them but not so much the powerstroke. im about to bite the bullet on a 6.4. looking at a few that have around 40k miles on them. anyways im tryin to plan ahead and come up with a game plan.

what would be the best set up for what ill do with it. 75% daily driver, 20% hauling anything from atv trailer to a 32 foot gooseneck stacked high w/ usually 17 round bales which are about 1k lbs a piece. and 5% having the pedal to the floor, balls to the walls trying to embarrass some d maxs and other diesels. mainly looking for performance for clean/strong towing and an efficient/ powerful daily driver. not looking to do anything major like tranny builds or anything. looking for a setup for a full exhaust, some type of tune/programmer, and intake and anything else necessary, on a budget!

from what ive read im thinking: 4 or 5 inch exhaust. (in your opinion which is better?) S&B intake, and H&S minimaxx. most likely be runnin 34-35" duratracs for tires, leveled, air bags in the rear. (nothing too high)

hows that sounding? anything im missing or should plan for or look out for?
Thanks
The difference in exhaust will only be sound I believe. Other than that everything else should be good. The programmer thing comes down to personal opinion. There are plenty of options for that.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
The difference in exhaust will only be sound I believe. Other than that everything else should be good. The programmer thing comes down to personal opinion. There are plenty of options for that.
"Plenty of options" not really, its either spartan or h&s, since sct pulled their off road tuners off the shelf. Everything you listed sounds just like my needs, and explains my truck. If your gonna spend the money buy the 5".

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB's 250 View Post
"Plenty of options" not really, its either spartan or h&s, since sct pulled their off road tuners off the shelf. Everything you listed sounds just like my needs, and explains my truck. If your gonna spend the money buy the 5".

I actually meant opinions sorry about the type-o.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
I actually meant opinions sorry about the type-o.
I understand

Old 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

Check out these guys, great customer service and can hook you up with a package!
Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog
Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Don't you worry about it

get a Minimaxx, S&B or AFE intake, 5" exhaust and hold on
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey thanks guys that helps a lot! thats kinda the plan. I wish they had something like efi live like on the dmaxs with the dsp5 adjustability. im not familiar much with these tuner pods but seems like i should be able to navigate them pretty easily.

but with a set up like i mentioned, do i need to be worried about any possible problems like blowin up my tranny or overheat issues or fuel shortage issues. i dont want to have a mega modded race truck just an overall enhanced performance truck for farm use and plenty of play use.

a couple things ive read about like aftermarket intercooler pipe changes and studs and anything else truely needed?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also, whats your opinions on the egr delete? is it worth the money? and one other question, does deleting the cat/dpf and muffler and the mini maxx gonna make the warranty go bye bye or does it depend on the dealer? just curious on what ford dealers say if you have service done with these mods done. like if service plans are valid still with aftermarket mods like these. i suppose i could just ask 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.