Headstuds and EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headstuds and EGR delete

Hey all,
I have been looking but couldn't really find the answer to my questions.

The mods to my truck are in my sig, I have 50k miles and was wondering about doing headstuds. I don't know how necessary they are because i only run the 210 tune as a dd and the 250 tune when I go on road trips. Now since those are not as high of tunes as others run, would headstuds really be needed for me?

The EGR part is would an EGR delete or a new EGR all together be the best option?

I can get my EGR replaced under warranty but would it just be better to take it out completely? what does it really do, sorry I just don't know what the dang thing does!

I'd rather spend the money if not doing headstuds, on a center console and egr delete because that i hear way more of than headstuds.

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 03:41 PM

The egr delete would be a better option in my opinon especially if you aren't having head gasket problems. Better throttle response & no more soot going into your engine would be two major benefits. I guess it depends on emissions equipment inspections where you are.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:52 PM

alright that is what i was thinking, how would i know if i were having head gasket problems?

I am in cali now but next year i will be going between cali and flagstaff az, Im almost positive in az that they are not against black smoke and what not, i doubt they would pull me over for that. I have the dpf deleted already and im in cali now. Thats why i run the 210, so it doesnt smoke much and i don't draw much more attention

so should i delete it or put in an aftermarket one?

I like the sinister kit that comes with the intake elbow as well, would that be helpful? I have the afe bladerunner intercooler as well
Old 05-27-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED BUBBA View Post
alright that is what i was thinking, how would i know if i were having head gasket problems?

I am in cali now but next year i will be going between cali and flagstaff az, Im almost positive in az that they are not against black smoke and what not, i doubt they would pull me over for that. I have the dpf deleted already and im in cali now. Thats why i run the 210, so it doesnt smoke much and i don't draw much more attention

I like the sinister kit that comes with the intake elbow as well, would that be helpful? I have the afe bladerunner intercooler as well
I think if you have puking out your degas bottle or coolant in the oil.

I myself was thinking for agile about bulletproof EGR coolers but after alot and I mean alot of research I decided it would be more beneficial to just delete. I went with the sinister kit but unfortunately didn't get the intake elbow bit I will just eventually get an elbow. Even without he elbow I am still very happy I went this route.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 PM

Delete the whole EGR system. And from what I understand unless you run your truck hard you shouldn't need head studs with the 210/250 tunes. Once you step up to the 300+ tunes its recommended. Studs are normally done cab off (not saying they cant be done cab on), so its definitely something to do the next time your cab is off, but personally I wouldn't pull the cab to do just studs, unless you start running a 300+ tune.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Thank you for the responses,

Yeah the cab off kinda worried me, I didnt want to go through the hassle to put some quick connects on some wires I have running around either.

So what does the EGR do on these trucks? Why is it nothing to get rid of it? like why doesnt it cause problems? and would it make my truck last longer?

thanks again
Old 05-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Hey big red sorry to go off topic but what size rims anad tires are you running with that 8" lift also do you have any side pics?

Sinister is 2 mins from my house and never knew that untill last friday. they have some insane trucks
Old 05-28-2012, 01:26 AM

No problem, ya i have 38x15.5x20

bmf novakanes, I will try to find some side pics somewhere. I need to update my sig pic anyways, I changed a few things but Im gonna add my cab lights before i do.

Ya Sinister looks to be the kit i will be going with, i like the intake and delete kit.

Dont know if i should do the pass side intake pipe at the same time lol
Old 05-28-2012, 05:54 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED BUBBA View Post

How do you not draw attention with a truck like that. That thing looks sick
Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 AM

I agree, his truck is nasty! Nasty in a badass way

Get rid of the whole POS egr and throw it in the same pile you put the dpf!
If you are pulling cab for other reasons you may as well stud it but otherwise you could probably hold off til its needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.