Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Delete Questions

7K views 52 replies 10 participants last post by  42Superman 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 6.4 with the following list of mods and want to do the EGR delete kit. What is the best kit to use and can it be done in your driveway? Does the Spartan allow the EGR delete?

Spartan tuner running the 275HP
S&B cold air intake
DPF delete
4” MBRP turbo back no muffler

#2 ·
I bought Rudy's kit, but Sinister, Elite, RCD, and Flo-Pro are all good kits. Yes it can be done in your driveway. It's fairly simple just time consuming. And yes, Spartan does allow for the complete removal of the EGR system.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I’m leaning toward the sinister kit with the intake elbow. What are the main benefits for doing the EGR deletion?

#4 ·
Piece of mind for problems down the road and if you do delete it look in your intake and you will see why you are deleting it

#6 ·
I'm in the same boat with the sane kit. do you have to change anything in the tune or can u just get rid of it and it will know?

The sinister kit looks solid. I don't know what you lose without the egr tho

#7 ·
As long as you have Spartan, H&S, KEM or Innovative tunes you do not have to do anything other than remove the coolers to do an EGR delete. Deleting the EGR will prevent the EGR valve from rupturing and pouring coolant into the case causing you to throw a rod and have a very expensive lawn ornament. It will cut down on the black smoke and lower your EGT's. I think mine gave me a little more throttle response too.

#8 ·
oh alright, ya im at 50k and dont want that to happen. Dont you lose cruise tho

#10 ·
I think the no cruise issue is an old problem that has since been fixed. Correct me if I am wrong though.

#12 ·
Yes, I have one from PTP and it looks good with the elbow! easy to install.

#13 ·
The cruise problem has been fixed, you won't lose it!

#14 ·
great, I just need to update my tunes now. If i update my tunes do i need to get the new ford recall update flash?

#21 ·
Do you offer a discount code for members on the forum?
Thanks,
Kyle

#17 ·
well now i am being told to do headstuds, egr delete, and intake elbow with pass side cold pipe :eek:uch: now its a big project, the people doing the install want to pull the cab so thats why they said do headstuds...but if i dont need to then ill do the install myself. they are doing ti for free anyways

#18 ·
That is stupid... there is absolutely no reason to pull the cab. Whoever is doing your install is yanking you around. Unless they are going to do the studs for free then I would tell them to get lost and do it yourself. It is not a simple job but with a good set of metric sockets and wrenches you could do it in your driveway. I would do the intake elbow at the same time and you could do the cold side pipe too so that you don't have to drain the coolant again if you ever decided to do the cold side pipe. But there is no reason to lift the cab. Here is a write-up that Clayton1985 did that I followed to the word when I did mine. It will help clarify a lot of things for you.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...232688-egr-delete-full-install-long-pics.html

#19 ·
You do not have to pull the cab to do a egr delete, I've personally done around 50-60 of these and never once pulled the cab to do one. In the time it takes to pull the cab you could have done the egr delete with the cab down.

#23 ·
yes they will pay for the headstud install if it is done...but do i really need to do ehadstuds?

I tow on the 210, i tow about 14k lbs...but i never use any tunes above the 250 tune from spartan

#25 ·
do i really need to do headstuds?

#27 ·
Ya if all your doing is running the 210 tune then no you don't need them. If you have any ambition at all that you might want to run some bigger tunes or do any other power increasing mods then I would definitely do the studs if the install is on them...

#28 ·
i do run the 250 tune now and then though...or am at least thinking of doing it

#29 ·
i have ran that tune though for 20k miles before changing down to the 210 and didnt do studs

#31 ·
I just talked to a company and they said that i should do it because when they removed the egr on their 6.4 it blew the headgaskets the very next day...i definitely dont want that. I am almost comtemplating just leaving them in there and saying forget about it.

It is making me angry because i cant figure out what to do haha, some say do headstuds but then others say dont worry about it, but i use my truck everyday and really cant afford to have any down time if the gasket blows!

^^^^ do you have studs?

#32 ·
I do not. I run the KEM 345 tune everyday and have had the EGR deleted now for about 7000 miles with no issues. The first chance I get I will do studs because I have plans for my truck that will require studs. I think where people have run into issues with blowing head gaskets is that some of the older spartans have been known to have crazy boost pressures like 60 psi and that will most certainly lift the head and ruin a gasket. As long as your spartan is updated and you are not running the piss out of it you should be fine. In my opinion I would rather have the EGR gone and not run the risk of ruining a $10000 motor than worry about a head gasket when it would cost 3-4000 to do new gaskets and studs. just my 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.