Is Spartan Tuning Overkill? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Kenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is Spartan Tuning Overkill?

I'm fairly new to the world of modifying the 6.4 powerstroke. I have a 2008 F-350 Harley Davidson with only 18,000km on it. The only thing I hate about this truck is the infuriating DPF filter. I have educated myself quite extensively over the past few weeks and just thought I would pop on here and get some input from the guys out there like me who are doing this type of stuff.
So here's what I want to accomplish:
- Delete my DPF and my CAT and install a tuner so my truck can run properly.
I live in British Columbia Canada so I'm not worried about emission laws of any kind. So far I have installed an S&B Cold Air Intake and I have a MBRP 4" downpipe back DPF/CAT bungless delete with muffler kit ready to be installed as soon as I pull the trigger on a tuner. After extensive research I'm pretty sure I'm set on the Spartan Phalanx. I have been emailing the tech on their website and I have to say they have been so helpful in answering all my dumb newbie questions. I just wanted to ask you guys the question because you are impartial to any particular product.
I keep getting told by Spartan that whats best for me for performance and economy is to run the 275 tune. Now that scares the crap out of me to run my truck everyday with 275 more hp than stock. My whole original goal for this mod was just just get rid of this filter and let my truck breath. I was planning on running my truck at either STOCK hp settings or maybe a MILD setting of 60 to 80hp with the DPF removed obviously. Everyone is into things for different reasons, for myself I don't "need" more power. I am quite pleased with my trucks power. I came from an old 95' 7.3 with 479,000km on it. It ran just like new still but this new truck is like a Ferrari compared to that old slow pig. I just figured with a cold air intake, no DPF, no CAT, the truck will already have more power than stock. I just want to have my truck for a long time with as few problems as possible. I know to some this might seem overkill, spend all this money for a few extra hp, but my outlook is whats better for the engine. I'm being told by Spartan whats best for my engine is to run the 275 tune but I just wanted your guys opinion. Also I like Spartan because for any warranty issue it shouldn't be hard to throw my DPF/CAT back in, put the tune back to stock (if it isnt already there) and unplug the Spartan and take it to Ford. Sorry for the wordy post, look forward to people's input.

Kenny

2008 F-350 Super Duty Harley Davidson Edition
Kenjamin is offline  
post #2 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
bentstroke_02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lenexa
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I run the 275 on my truck as my dd and i have had no problems with it i also have 200k on my truck. As long as you dont put your foot in it everytime you will have no problems at all.

Jeremiah


Horsepower is like sex, once you get it you can't get enough of it

2008 6.4 with 200k and counting

5" FLO-PRO exhaust W/6" tip
AFE stage 2 CAI
Spartan tuner
PTP EGR Delete
coolant filter
CCV Mod
leveling kit
4in rear Blocks
20's W/35's
bentstroke_02 is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
superduty6.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjamin View Post
I'm fairly new to the world of modifying the 6.4 powerstroke. I have a 2008 F-350 Harley Davidson with only 18,000km on it. The only thing I hate about this truck is the infuriating DPF filter. I have educated myself quite extensively over the past few weeks and just thought I would pop on here and get some input from the guys out there like me who are doing this type of stuff.
So here's what I want to accomplish:
- Delete my DPF and my CAT and install a tuner so my truck can run properly.
I live in British Columbia Canada so I'm not worried about emission laws of any kind. So far I have installed an S&B Cold Air Intake and I have a MBRP 4" downpipe back DPF/CAT bungless delete with muffler kit ready to be installed as soon as I pull the trigger on a tuner. After extensive research I'm pretty sure I'm set on the Spartan Phalanx. I have been emailing the tech on their website and I have to say they have been so helpful in answering all my dumb newbie questions. I just wanted to ask you guys the question because you are impartial to any particular product.
I keep getting told by Spartan that whats best for me for performance and economy is to run the 275 tune. Now that scares the crap out of me to run my truck everyday with 275 more hp than stock. My whole original goal for this mod was just just get rid of this filter and let my truck breath. I was planning on running my truck at either STOCK hp settings or maybe a MILD setting of 60 to 80hp with the DPF removed obviously. Everyone is into things for different reasons, for myself I don't "need" more power. I am quite pleased with my trucks power. I came from an old 95' 7.3 with 479,000km on it. It ran just like new still but this new truck is like a Ferrari compared to that old slow pig. I just figured with a cold air intake, no DPF, no CAT, the truck will already have more power than stock. I just want to have my truck for a long time with as few problems as possible. I know to some this might seem overkill, spend all this money for a few extra hp, but my outlook is whats better for the engine. I'm being told by Spartan whats best for my engine is to run the 275 tune but I just wanted your guys opinion. Also I like Spartan because for any warranty issue it shouldn't be hard to throw my DPF/CAT back in, put the tune back to stock (if it isnt already there) and unplug the Spartan and take it to Ford. Sorry for the wordy post, look forward to people's input.

Kenny

2008 F-350 Super Duty Harley Davidson Edition
Most people seem to run the higher horsepower tunes with very little to no problems as long as they are relatively sensible how they drive the truck. Hell some even drive the heck out of it with those tunes or higher & don't have any problems either. Keep in mind that I don't have a spartan but I have done alot of research on them like yourself & have found alot of people taking their advice about the bigger tunes.

08 F350 JOB 1
H&S MINI MAXX HD300 W/S1M
SINISTER EGR/COOLER DELETE
6000K BEAMERS HID HEAD & FOGLIGHTS
KMC XD WHEELS W/NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS
2.5" LEVELING KIT
DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER
ROTELLA EC-1 RATED COOLANT
5" DP BACK FLO-PRO EXHAUST
FLO-PRO CAC PIPE & INTAKE ELBOW
CCV MOD
AIR LIFT 5000LB AIR BAGS W/ONBOARD COMPRESSOR
AFE CAI
PMF TRACTION BARS
superduty6.4 is offline  
post #4 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have spartan and I have had my truck on 275 most of the time and lowest tune is 210 for heavy towing. My truck is all stock for now and I have about 20,000 miles on them tunes alone with zero issues. But like others said depends on foot is how truck will last. I don't drive hard much but I have and all good. If you like the power now wait till you tune it. I've heard the 300 tune is a good dd for fuel mileage and easy smoother shifting. I don't know about other tuners but spartan has been good to me and I recommend it.

08 F-250, Spartan tuned w/275, Banks CAI, CC, SB, 5% tint, 3'' lift, 35'' procomp Extreme AT.
jason5288 is offline  
post #5 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DSTRBD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It is overkill for what most people need, but its not overkill for what most people use.....



ICON Vehicle Dynamics | S&B Intakes | MBRP Exhaust | American Force Wheels | Diamond Eye | AFE Intakes | Carli Suspension | Industrial Injection | Garrett Turbos | FASS | Method Wheels | Bilstein Shocks | Airdog | KMC Wheels | Spartan | RSouth Bend Clutch | SCT | Edge Products | ATS Diesel | Bullydog | BMF Wheels | AMP Research | & much more....

DSTRBD is offline  
post #6 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
superduty6.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
It is overkill for what most people need, but its not overkill for what most people use.....
That was put very well!!!

08 F350 JOB 1
H&S MINI MAXX HD300 W/S1M
SINISTER EGR/COOLER DELETE
6000K BEAMERS HID HEAD & FOGLIGHTS
KMC XD WHEELS W/NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS
2.5" LEVELING KIT
DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER
ROTELLA EC-1 RATED COOLANT
5" DP BACK FLO-PRO EXHAUST
FLO-PRO CAC PIPE & INTAKE ELBOW
CCV MOD
AIR LIFT 5000LB AIR BAGS W/ONBOARD COMPRESSOR
AFE CAI
PMF TRACTION BARS
superduty6.4 is offline  
post #7 of 29 Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Clayton1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fort St John, BC
Posts: 1,757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Go for it, you dont have to run the 275 if you dont want. You have many options/hp levels. I dd the 275 myself.

2008 Job 3, F350, 6.4/drw/lariat/CC/LB, Spartan, Viper 5902, Line-X, Flo-pro egr delete, aFe stage 2 proguard 7, MBRP Cool Duals/downpipe/CAC, CCV mod, coolant filter PMF 7" 4link, Rigid Dually fogs, Royalty Core 3pc, Crown brake lines, Mishimoto Rad
6.4 Rebuild May/2015, BD manifolds+Uppipes, chromoly rods, rockers,lifters, hd springs
Monstir 20", 37x12.50 ATZ P3
1999 Corvette Cpe
Clayton1985 is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 05-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
travisH3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 6
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
If your not dead set on the spartan, the h&s offers no power, mild, wild, and hot shift on the fly options which may interest you, that's why I purchased the mini maxx. Either tuner is great but just thought I would throw the h&s out there. Good luck.

T-rav
2010 F350 6.4- H&S Single turbo kit, 5" flo pro,No limit SS cold side kit, No Limit intake, MPD billet CCV/oil filler, newton leveling kit, RED Newton traction bars, custom projector retrofit in oem lights and a bunch of LED lights LOL

Holderdown Performance #teamHDP

OUR FLEET: 2015 f450, 2014 Platinum F350, 2012 F450 6.7, 2010 F350 6.4, 2005 F350 6.0, 04 F450 6.0
travisH3 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Kenjamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisH3 View Post
If your not dead set on the spartan, the h&s offers no power, mild, wild, and hot shift on the fly options which may interest you, that's why I purchased the mini maxx. Either tuner is great but just thought I would throw the h&s out there. Good luck.
I thought that the Spartan had a no power stock setting, plus lower hp settings like 80hp and 120hp. Either one I get I would defiantly want the option of running a stock setting that just allows me to run with the DPF/CAT delete and also have lower hp tunes all the way up to higher tunes. I was under the impression both the H&S and the Spartan had similar hp settings from stock all the way up to the 'Big Boy' tunes.
Kenjamin is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
superduty6.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjamin View Post
I thought that the Spartan had a no power stock setting, plus lower hp settings like 80hp and 120hp. Either one I get I would defiantly want the option of running a stock setting that just allows me to run with the DPF/CAT delete and also have lower hp tunes all the way up to higher tunes. I was under the impression both the H&S and the Spartan had similar hp settings from stock all the way up to the 'Big Boy' tunes.
They have a low hp setting for their lowest like 30hp or something which is pretty close to stock.

08 F350 JOB 1
H&S MINI MAXX HD300 W/S1M
SINISTER EGR/COOLER DELETE
6000K BEAMERS HID HEAD & FOGLIGHTS
KMC XD WHEELS W/NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS
2.5" LEVELING KIT
DIESELSITE COOLANT FILTER
ROTELLA EC-1 RATED COOLANT
5" DP BACK FLO-PRO EXHAUST
FLO-PRO CAC PIPE & INTAKE ELBOW
CCV MOD
AIR LIFT 5000LB AIR BAGS W/ONBOARD COMPRESSOR
AFE CAI
PMF TRACTION BARS
superduty6.4 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome