CAI, help with smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
CAI, help with smoke

Whats up everyone? Quick question. 2008 6.4 I have it deleted with H&S Minni but I do not have a cold air intake, just stock still. When I get a little aggressive with the skinny pedal like getting on the freeway or passing someone I get lots of smoke out the tailpipe. Will putting the CAI on help solve this problem? I'm thinking its just not getting enough air compared to more fuel with the tuner. I think its fun sometimes but I don't like being that guy rolling coal all the time, I just want to stay under the radar, if you know what I mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlarkin View Post
Whats up everyone? Quick question. 2008 6.4 I have it deleted with H&S Minni but I do not have a cold air intake, just stock still. When I get a little aggressive with the skinny pedal like getting on the freeway or passing someone I get lots of smoke out the tailpipe. Will putting the CAI on help solve this problem? I'm thinking its just not getting enough air compared to more fuel with the tuner. I think its fun sometimes but I don't like being that guy rolling coal all the time, I just want to stay under the radar, if you know what I mean
I had the same happening and read somewhere to turn down the low boost fueling I think is what it is called. It seemed to help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually I guess it was when I was at a dead stop that I noticed an improvement but the throttle response didn't seem as good as when it was at 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Yes an intake will help clear up some of the smoke. But depending on what tune you run, there will still be plenty of smoke when getting on the go go pedal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: San antonio TX
Posts: 1,274
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you keep the tuning the same then yes a cold air intake will lessen the smoke some. Or you can change your fuel settings or you could do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thanks guys for the help. I'll be ordering an S&B, When you guys mention to turn the fuel settings down how exactly do you do that? I'm not very savvy with this tuner but I guess I could give H&S a call on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlarkin View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I'll be ordering an S&B, When you guys mention to turn the fuel settings down how exactly do you do that? I'm not very savvy with this tuner but I guess I could give H&S a call on Monday.
You have to go through the download tune process on the mini maxx again and it should ask you about LBF or low boost fueling 0 is the least smoke 5 will make the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 120
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
You have to go through the download tune process on the mini maxx again and it should ask you about LBF or low boost fueling 0 is the least smoke 5 will make the most.
Sounds easy enough. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,314
Thanks: 3
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors