My build....stock fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My build....stock fuel

Here is a quick write-up for anyone considering similar modifications. After discovering I had a failing head gasket a few months ago, I knew the cab had to come off so I started looking into everything I wanted to do while I was already in there. I spent a couple of months researching this (spending hours reading forums and talking with people in the know) and I thought the following mods would be the best for my goals and budget. My truck is a DD which I occasionally use for work related towing. My goals were reliability, streetability (quick spool up and minimal smoke), additional safe horsepower on a reasonable budget. I would have preferred to wait a little longer to see how some of these setups worked since I can't find many definite tested numbers or direct comparisons for most of the mods I am doing, but I needed to get my truck back up and ready to tow for a busy construction season. I don't know anyone currently running my exact setup but would love to hear from anyone who is. Hopefully this will help some of you considering similar upgrades. I don't plan on doing anything on the fuel side unless something breaks due to the added expenses (I considered about all of the different injectors and the additional necessary mods), the need for a wastegate, the higher EGTs, and more smoke. I considered a valvetrain upgrade but ultimately decided against it (see my “Valve Springs” thread for details). All of my mods were geared towards better airflow. My latest mods are a Go Go Diesel intake manifold, Elites 71-mm Tow Power Atmo charger, a non-ported 6.0 exhaust manifold, and Elite's up pipes along with OEM HGs and ARP2000 head studs (see my signature for all of my upgrades). The work on it is being completed now and I should be picking up the truck in the next week. I will provide feedback on how this set-up works. Even among the “experts” there were some who agreed and some who disagreed with the need for all of my purchases. I will be happy to answer any questions about my choices and why I chose that particular route.

I would like to thank several people who have helped me along the way….JD from Elite for his honest advise and getting me everything he said he would WHEN he said he would, Powerlifter405 for hooking me up with ARP studs in 2 days when they were almost impossible to find, Trevor from PMF who went way out his way to help me on the traction bars, Jeff from Spartan for providing a lot of great technical advice, Craig from MPD, and the boys from Holderdown Diesel who are performing the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice. Sounds like this will be a strong 650-700hp+ truck. What about a built trans? Do you think the stock lift pump and injection pump will be able to keep rail pressure up under go pedal.

Last edited by sanman28; 05-06-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
subscribing to this , great set up and great choices , cant wait till your back behind the wheel !!!
Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman28 View Post
Nice. Sounds like this will be a strong 650-700hp+ truck. What about a built trans? Do you think the stock lift pump and injection pump will be able to keep rail pressure up under go pedal.
I drive a stick and my trans is stock except the clutch. The ZF6 is a very stout tranny so I doubt that will be an issue. I know of one guy who recently dynoed 866 RWHP on the except tranny setup as I have and he has not had any trouble with his so I should be fine.

Lift pump is stock. Since the sticks are stock and my truck only has 34K miles (so my HPFP should still be strong), I doubt I will have RP issues. After my funds are built back up I am definitely going to consider Air Dog even if I maintain RP. If I am not maintaining RP and have installed an Air Dog (with fuel bowl deleted and possibly ported rail), I would go with proramming with a shorter PW. There is now way I would run the Industrial HPFP after reading about all of the expensive failures with it and dual fillers is definitely outside of my budget.

Initially I do expect to have problems with the filter minder and I think this will be my biggest weak link. I am running aFe St II with 5R (which I think has the best flow of all the production aftermarket CAIs) but I doubt it will keep up. Several people are testing custom setups and I am waiting to see how they work.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Nice. Sounds like a winner. I WISH I had a manual in my truck. If I could have found one, i would have done it in a heartbeat.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a great setup
Old 05-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman28 View Post
Nice. Sounds like a winner. I WISH I had a manual in my truck. If I could have found one, i would have done it in a heartbeat.
I bought my truck used and it took me about 6 months to find one that was a stick. I like the stick but I definitely gonna do any in a drag race.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Good deal man. I am excited to hear the results. I am plannning a similar set up. I probably wont go with the bigger turbo tho. Do you think a ported intake manifold would be worth the investment on either stock turbos or stock turbos with the batmowheel?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM

Sounds like a solid choice of components! When I have to pull my cab (whenever that me be) i also plan to do something VERY similar to this. Im also curious about the intake manifold... thats the one item I'm on the fence about. That Elite 71 mm tow power is definitely a good investment in my book! Im excited to hear more about your setup when its complete
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Sounds like a nice set up you have going. I love my auto in this truck for driving around town, but I really miss my hand shaker when towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.