stupid theoretical questions about the EGR system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stupid theoretical questions about the EGR system

okay so I'm basically bored and looking at a picture of an EGR cooler. now looking at the EGR cooler on my truck I see what looks like a coolant line going into the horizontal EGR cooler and then another line coming out of the upper EGR cooler. having little knowledge about how the EGR system works I'm assuming this is how the coolant gets into and out of the entire EGR cooling system. what would be the harm in putting up bypass line between the lower and upper coolant lines bypassing the coolant flow in the EGR cooler completely. then putting a block off plate at the exhaust input side to the EGR cooler system. theoretically this would eliminate the coolant running through the EGR coolers, eliminate exhaust coming into the EGR system, and allow turbo back pressure to fill the EGR system easing stresses on the turbochargers. or am I totally wrong about the whole thing works and just full of crap. ?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 AM

thinking more about what I've heard about the EGR balls and set up what I actually know about it which is nothing, I'm guessing that excess pressure from the turbo side of it would actually cause it to close more tightly, so guessing once again I'm figuring that you actually have to have a program written for your programmer that would open the EGR valve above a certain boost pressure. I've probably just had too much coffee.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:44 AM

ROFL ! eGR balls! Stupid Siri

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM

No need to "bypass the coolers", just remove the hoses and plug the ports. The cooolant flow doesn't go on to cool anything else in series. My recommendation is to buy one of the several commerically available EGR delete kits (I have a Pro-Flo kit I got from PTP, works great, but I think pretty much every diesel performance company makes one and they all seem to be pretty much the same).
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Actually on thing I forgot t mention was routing the former egr coolant flow through a coolant filter.

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Buying one of the several EGR delete kits is only valid if your state doesn't have emissions testing. Otherwise, it's too much work to have to uninstall/reinstall for annual emissions testing.

However, back to the OP's question. Nothing wrong with blocking the exhaust ports then rerouting the coolant lines thus taking the EGR's out of the system so-to-speak. When emissions testing is required, you just remove the plates and replace the original plumbing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.