Another Newbie - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Newbie

Been lurking on here for about a month now and would like to say THANKS to everyone for the tips, tricks, advice, and know how they have shared. I do have a couple of questions that I canít seem to find an answer for.

1. I was going to purchase the MBRP exhaust 4 inch stainless turbo back but now Iím hearing Diamond Eye is just as good and WAY cheaper. What would you guys recommend and for those who have the DE how easy was the install? Would also like to know if itís worth doing the 5 inch versus just the 4 inch?

2. If I go with the DE it comes with its own downpipe and looks to be a 1 piece versus the 2 piece offered by MBRP. Since you have to cut the factory downpipe to get it out how do you get the DE installed without doing a cab off or moving the transmission?

If anyone has some pics of the exhaust exit with the DE 4 & 5 inch and some of the exhaust system itself they could post up that would be greatly appreciated.

Along with the exhaust Iím going with the S&B CAI, H&S Mini, Coolant Filter, Trans Filter, and eventually Iíll be doing the full EGR delete. My truck is a 2008 F350 CCLB 4X4 Lariat that I bought online with 107K miles for $22k. Currently serving overseas (havenít even seen the truck in person) so I had a diesel mechanic check it out and my Dad picked it up for us. When we get home in July Iím doing most of the mods along with changing all the fluids/filters and then driving cross country from Seattle to Eglin Florida. Should be a great way to break in the mods and enjoy our new to us F350. This is my third (01 F250 & 06 F350 now 08 F350) Powerstroke and couldnít imagine driving anything else! Looking forward to being around on here for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just put the DE on my 02 last week, me and my dad did the install, it was our first exhaust that we've done and it took is about 3.5-4 hours to do. To get the stock system off was pretty easy we just cut a few spots to be able to basically twist right off the hangers. The downpipe removal was the hardest part but soak it real good with penetrating oil and it'll pop off with a little persuasion. The new pipes fitted up nicely, i went with a straight pipe and everything fit up nicely with only having to trim one piece. Overall the installation was not bad just use alot of penetrating oil on the hangers and downpipe clamp, dont be afraid to cut away at the stock system, have an extra set of hands there if you can and take your time. It sounds great when its done. Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I put on my 5in Diamond Eye exhaust and 6in MBRP tip about 2 months ago and love it. It has cut the hairdryer sound down from obnoxious to a deep drone which I love. Also the turbo screams. First day a got it, two people in my neighborhood thought the Blue Angels were outside. Only thing is it drones at 40mph and 55-60mph. I love the drone though. Also installation was easy. Hardest was gettin tail section out but I dropped spare tire and heat shield and it came out no problem. If you get te down pipe with this system just be patient with it. I would recommend using a sawzal that plugs directly into an outlet and not a battery one. It took me 3 hours cause I kept running out of battery. I also had to cut the new exhaust because I believe it is universal to fit long bed crew cab trucks. Pm me and I'll give you my cell number if you need help.

Also thank you for protecting and serving our country. You put your life on the line to keep me, my family and the rest of our country safe.

Last edited by 2008SleeperStroker; 05-03-2012 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK08Stroker View Post
Been lurking on here for about a month now and would like to say THANKS to everyone for the tips, tricks, advice, and know how they have shared. I do have a couple of questions that I can’t seem to find an answer for.

1. I was going to purchase the MBRP exhaust 4 inch stainless turbo back but now I’m hearing Diamond Eye is just as good and WAY cheaper. What would you guys recommend and for those who have the DE how easy was the install? Would also like to know if it’s worth doing the 5 inch versus just the 4 inch?

MBRP is going to be a higher end kit than the DE offering and have a little better fit/finish. Depending on which MBRP kit stainless kit you get, it might come with a tip as well. Most find DE to be all they really want/need though, but none of the DE kits include a tip. I personally prefer the look and sound of 5" over 4".

2. If I go with the DE it comes with its own downpipe and looks to be a 1 piece versus the 2 piece offered by MBRP. Since you have to cut the factory downpipe to get it out how do you get the DE installed without doing a cab off or moving the transmission?

The DE down pipe, like all others, is 2 piece.

If anyone has some pics of the exhaust exit with the DE 4 & 5 inch and some of the exhaust system itself they could post up that would be greatly appreciated.

Along with the exhaust I’m going with the S&B CAI, H&S Mini, Coolant Filter, Trans Filter, and eventually I’ll be doing the full EGR delete. My truck is a 2008 F350 CCLB 4X4 Lariat that I bought online with 107K miles for $22k. Currently serving overseas (haven’t even seen the truck in person) so I had a diesel mechanic check it out and my Dad picked it up for us. When we get home in July I’m doing most of the mods along with changing all the fluids/filters and then driving cross country from Seattle to Eglin Florida. Should be a great way to break in the mods and enjoy our new to us F350. This is my third (01 F250 & 06 F350 now 08 F350) Powerstroke and couldn’t imagine driving anything else! Looking forward to being around on here for years to come.
Answers above in red. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks for your service!!!

Last edited by DSTRBD; 05-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses and info from everyone. I think I'm going to go with the 5" DE stainless turbo back kit. Really like MBRP but since it's a work truck and not a show truck what's the real difference. It will have an MBRP tip eventually anyways.

Nate, sent you a PM
Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Congrats on the purchase. Let us know how it runs!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
IMO the stainless kit are WAY overpriced for what they are worth

Aluminized kits are Awesome

Stainless you either need to get the MOST expensive material one or it will just rust and look like crap a year down the road!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK08Stroker View Post
Thanks for the responses and info from everyone. I think I'm going to go with the 5" DE stainless turbo back kit. Really like MBRP but since it's a work truck and not a show truck what's the real difference. It will have an MBRP tip eventually anyways.

Nate, sent you a PM
Let me know when you are ready, the products are ready to ship!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quick question, how does the 5 inch SS DE exhaust exit? Trying to decide which tip I want and need to know if it exits 90 degree straight out behind the rear wheel or at 45 degrees pointing in between the rear bumper and tire. If anyone has a pick that they could post up I would really appreciate it.

Canít wait to get back to the states and see/drive/mod my new toy (I mean work truck ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.