stock 6.4 with 8-10 grand what to do. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
stock 6.4 with 8-10 grand what to do.

I dont own a 6.4 yet as im still waiting for insurance money, but i had a 6.0 that was stolen a few days ago. I plan on financing a 6.4 putting about 18-20 down and haveing 8-10k on the side to get it how my 6.0 was. My question is what would you guys do with the money? i have two routes i want to go 1 is 8in lift rims, tires, exhaust/egr delete, mayb small stuff with money left over. Or route 2 leave it stock height and do spartan tuneing tranny supporting mods? would a 6.4 need studs like the 6.0s do? can it hold injectors tuneing and fuel system with out it? thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would do the tuner, intake, exhaust, an EGR cooler delete with CAC pipe and intake elbow, and head studs. That will be a solid and reliable setup and you can tune the truck to over 550 horsepower. Have funds set aside for a transmission rebuild. The stock one will last you a long time if you take care of it and don't drive like an idiot.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tuner, Intake, Exhaust, DP, EGR delete, Coolant filter, CAC pipe for starters. But if your determined to spend 8-10k add on head studs, intercooler, diffrent turbos or at least batmowheel. And then save the rest for the transmission.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

im guessing its like the 6.0 with cab off for the studs? would it hold the tuner and all that without studs? im new to 6.4 not determined to spend 8-10 thats just what im getting for selling my stang gonna use that to try and get the truck kinda how my 6.0 was. How hard is it to remove the cab? im good mechanical wise ive built an 03 cobra engine and changed head gaskets on another.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM

Yup studs are done cab off, supposedly you can do them one at a time, cab on but I'm guessing there is a reason not to. And no you don't NEED studs until you get to the 300+ tunes, even then there are more than a few guys still running stock. Don't know how bad removing the cab is (Because I don't have a lift), assuming you have a lift, I bet you could do it.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

what brands/parts would you recommend for the mods listed above? i think im going to hold on the lift and stud the truck and do egr delete and crap now? would you guys recommend the ported welded intakes? also gonna do the batmo wheels when i do the studds and stuff. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:37 PM

I can't roll Low

do the lift and a tuner then build from there
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studded View Post
what brands/parts would you recommend for the mods listed above? i think im going to hold on the lift and stud the truck and do egr delete and crap now? would you guys recommend the ported welded intakes? also gonna do the batmo wheels when i do the studds and stuff. Thanks again.
sounds like a solid plan to me. I would go with either Spartan or H&S for a tuner... both have excellent tunes. For a cold air, i would go with AFE or S&B. Diamond Eye makes nice affordable exhaust. I would do 5" exhaust from the start, but I didn't pay anything for my 4", so thats the only reason i have it. EGR delete/intake elbow, and CAC pipe can be controversial, and I still haven't decided which I'm getting. Im still shopping actually. No Limit fabrications makes killer stuff, and thats my top choice... but its a lot more than say Flo Pro egr delete and MBRP CAC pipe. ARP studs are in my opinion just as good as any for anything in the 600-800 hp range. I love my sun coast tranny and converter, and would definitely save some coin for that before you get to insane with power. that will definitely give you a SOLID platform to do whatever you want with your truck
Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 AM

start slow........H and S tuner......5" exhaust, good air intake and an egr delete....you would be in it $2000.....then figure out where you want to go after driving and thinking about it a bit.....you dont need studs or a tranny.....but if you like lifted trucks , more than likely that urge is going to stay, and you will have the money to do it.......once you drive it with a tune, exhaust and air intake i think you will have a better idea,, its a beast with just that....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

What he said. Start with the basics and go from there. Most find out that its more power than they will ever need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.