2008 6.4 DRW DPF and EGR - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 6.4 DRW DPF and EGR

I had a 2006 6.0 F350 SRW that used to pull my 38 Fith Wheel on short weeked trips in Florida ( Flat Land ). I loved the truck good MPG and never did anything 100% stock.

So I am getting ready to retire. Much longer trips and away from the flat land. I start looking for a DRW just much safer with a Fith Wheel that size.
I end up with a 2008 F350 DRW . And OMG was I in for shock. I admit it I
did not to the research I should have. I got a good deal on the truck and now I know why MPG !

I am not going to race the truck I just want to be able to improve my MPG both pulling and day to day.

Here is what been told to do. DPF/CAT and EGR Delete with a SCT 9625OR
programer. Rememmber this is all about MPG, without over stressing the truck.

With that what will I see in MPG improvement in the real world?

Thanks for any all thoughts !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
The sct is the cheapest option but you have to keep the sensors in the exhaust which is kinda a pain to remove from dpf so you either have two options, buy the sensors from ford to put in the delete pipe so you don't have to deal with removing the sensors out of dpf which is hard because they are tight. Second option is to get a spartan or h&s and do away with the sensors in the exhaust and the hassle. But these options are a little more expensive. Just a dpf delete will get you some mpg. The egr delete you won't see a big gain, it's more of just a reliability thing. I went from about 10mpg(in the 9's when regen) to 14 and 15 towing. So that's been great for me. Right now I'm running a hot tune and have been doing no tuning to see what my mileage is without towing. I still have egr though. I'm running a h&s mini maxx. You can switch tunes on the fly which won it over for me because I go from towing 10-11k pounds to nothing and the higher tunes get better mileage so switching without having to retune the truck(it's a 5-10 min process) won my money. The spartan is a great unit too, lots of parameters to watch, little more expensive than the h&s.

Ps.... Someone is selling a used h&s mini maxx in the for sale section. They don't require relicensing either when buying a used tuner. Spartan requires relicensing and sct has 5 unlocks which means you can switch from 5 different trucks then it has to be sent in to get unlocked.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 PM

I too have an 08 DRW F350 used mainly for towing a fith wheel. Yes , do a DPF/ DOC and EGR delete. Way better for the truck and gives a a boost in MPG. I would recommend either Spartan (thats what I run), or H&S for tuning over SCT (unless you're going with RCD tunes in the SCT). My toyhauler fiver weighs in around 18K loaded and I get around 10 MPG ( could do better if I drove slower but with all the power availbale on tap , its hard not to use it).
Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you both !!

Travis and Antonm, I want to thank you both for the reply's One thing I should have noted is that I am not doing the work. I found someone that dose this on the weekends. Works on fords alot at his full time job. ( LOL) Hole thing is $1600.00 installed
I am still working now and just don't have time to take this on before my first trip.

Antonm, the last time I towed my Fith Wheel short with this truck short distance about 60 miles I got around 6 to 8 on the truck computor. So I would do back flips for what you are talking about here.

Like Travis said in his post my Fith Wheel is a 38" Toyhauler and Loaded is
around 17 or 18K. So if I end up with anything in the 10 to 13 range and can drive 65 to 70 I would be happy.

I have to admit the for the most part I have fellowed what the guy installing all the has recommended. About the tune change on the fly I really don't need that. My plain is to travel with it in the summer months and be back in Florida for the cold months so see changing the tune two times a year.

The tuner is the SCT livewire 9625 OR Its the one the don't make anymore
it has EGR and DPF Del in it. I am still very new to all this and the RCD tunes you talked about lost me ??

K
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM

RCD = River City Diesel. They are a company that writes custom tunes using the SCT tuner as the delivery device. Kind of like KEM does with the H&S tuner. The only SCT tuner I've ever ran was on a Mustang, but for the 6.4 both Spartan and H&S are better options.

Sounds like we have similar toyhaulers, mine is a 43 foot Heartland Cyclone. Triple axel, triple slide out and a heavy *****. But running the Spartan 210 tow performance, late lockup, EGR delete tune I get around 10 MPG doing 70 MPH (hand calculated, the computer tells me I’m getting 12). The worst I’ve ever got was 8.5 but that was on a trip thought the Smokey Mountains with a lot of long hills, and of course I had to pass all the 18 wheelers on the hills.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
RCD = River City Diesel. They are a company that writes custom tunes using the SCT tuner as the delivery device. Kind of like KEM does with the H&S tuner. The only SCT tuner I've ever ran was on a Mustang, but for the 6.4 both Spartan and H&S are better options.

Sounds like we have similar toyhaulers, mine is a 43 foot Heartland Cyclone. Triple axel, triple slide out and a heavy *****. But running the Spartan 210 tow performance, late lockup, EGR delete tune I get around 10 MPG doing 70 MPH (hand calculated, the computer tells me I’m getting 12). The worst I’ve ever got was 8.5 but that was on a trip thought the Smokey Mountains with a lot of long hills, and of course I had to pass all the 18 wheelers on the hills.
Yes I have a Raptor 3812ST 3 slides... So I have already got the SCT but it may not be to late. What I don't understand is what makes the Spartan or H&S better. I really am new to all this ?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM

What makes Spartan / H&S better is their tunes. They're just better (more power, less backpressure, better fuel mileage, better trans shifting). SCT has gotten out of the DPF delete game. There was a time when SCT was on par with Spartan / H&S , but that time was about two years ago or so. Spartan / H&S have continued to develop there tunes were SCT has stopped producing them at all. So SCT is not exactly on the cutting edge when it comes to that aspect of tuning anymore.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM

stick with your sct and get custom tunes from KEM thats what just did and he tuning is amazing and tranny shifts awesome! The tune only cost 75 bucks and its e-mailed to you and you just put in on the sct yourself....and im pretty sure KEM (mike) use to be one of the main guys that did the tuning at spartan so you can guarantee his tuning is spot on. This way you dont have to go out and drop over a G on the spartan tuner
Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM

forgot to mention do not stick with the tunes that come with the sct i personally think they are terrible for the truck....trans shifting was terrible and boost was thru the roof so pulling a 5er would be really bad on those tunes......I heard the KEM 210 is good for towing and has lost of safety parameters built in. either way there are many companies out there that have amazing custom tunes like RCD im sure other people that run there stuff are extremely happy as well
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

First off I am a Spartan guy. But Other than that I know H&S is a great product. I would pay up for the mini max so you get the peace of mind with the ability to monitor your truck's vitals, something that I strongly believe is needed when towing. Also unlike spartan you can set some parameters such as low boost fueling and what temperature the truck refuels at which is great for long hills so you don't end up with melted scrap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.