Steps to Installing the Delete Kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steps to Installing the Delete Kit

Just purchased a Mini Maxx, MBRP Delete Pipe and S&B CAI...Has anyone or can anyone post the step by step instructions for installation? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM

Also how long should it take?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM

I know of no such instructions, but I have never looked for them either. If you are mechanically capable of doing these mods yourself, then you probably don't need instructions, it's all pretty easy. I'm not taking a jab at you, just saying, it's pretty simple, you shouldn't have a problem. If you can change your own oil, or do your own brakes, you can do this too, it's that simple.

The intake is easy, maybe an hour for the first time. After that, about 30mins or less. The delete pipe, same thing, bout an hour. Assuming you are like me, no lift, using a floor jack in the garage. Not sure about the mini max, as I have Spartan. Becareful getting that DPF and cat out. IT's heavy as phuck together. I opted not to separate mine, as storing it and quick removal was easiest in 1 pc. An extra set of hands would be most helpful with that part.

Good luck to you, you're gonna love it deleted.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM

I guess more what I wondered is the steps so that everything works properly...Not so much the actual wrench turning.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Install Tuning
Install Exhaust
Install Intake

MASH GO PEDAL.

Seriously though, it is all very straight forward. We recommend installing the tuner first to make sure there arent any issues with the truc accepting the tune. Once thats installed, you can do the intake and exhaust, the order does not matter. We are here to help should you have any questions.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKid View Post
Becareful getting that DPF and cat out. IT's heavy as phuck together. I opted not to separate mine, as storing it and quick removal was easiest in 1 pc. An extra set of hands would be most helpful with that part.

Good luck to you, you're gonna love it deleted.
You may find a skateboard or a creeper will come in handy here. Once it's loose, simply pull the DPF/CAT out and let one end rest on the skateboard/creeper, then lift it from the front over the crossbar. It will then roll out until it's completely free. Also easier to remove the sensors so as to not damage them, otherwise, move slowly so that you don't damage them.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it's fairly easy. i was helping a "friend" delete his. my tip would be the nuts connecting dpf to downpipe are welded on. or is it the bolts, anyway, after tugging and spraying blaster for 10 min, had a d'oh moment.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 PM

I'm about to order the same kit, doesn't look overly complicated.

DPF:

intake:
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Thanks guys. I just dont want to screw anything up...so all the tunes I need to start are on the Mini already? Also, how will I know the truck took the tune before proceeding with the delete pipe/CAI?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
here is my version of step by step, sorry if it seems long winded

first step is to update the tuner, who knows how long it has been on the shelf and it wont hurt to make sure you have the latest update. go to H&S website and follow the directions. doing this will also allow you to pick if you want the hot damn tuning and also what tranny shift schedule. s1m is default which has tq converter lockup in 4th and 5th gear.

step 2 is to tune the truck. plug h&S into obdII and follow on screen instructions. should take about 15 minutes at the most to download everything. once downloaded, climb under truck and disconnect all 4 sensors going into dpf(if these sensors are left plugged in, they can supposedly mess with tuning, not 100% positive but better to be safe than sorry) once they are unplugged, start up the truck and make sure the tuning went through and shut it off.

step 3, exhaust. start by spraying rubber exhaust hangers with penetrating oil and also hit the clamp holding the rear tail section with pb blaster or something to help loosen the clamp up. loosen rear clamp, and slide rear tail section back and off of the dpf. you can take this hole tail section totally down or just leave the last hanger hooked up, i left the last hanger hooked and let the rear tail section hang down out of the way. before removing the rubber hangers on dpf section disconnect dpf from down pipe. there are 2 13mm bolts on the down pipe to the flange. the bolts can only be loosened from one side because the nut is welded to the flange. easiest way to access the top bolt of the down pipe to dpf flange is to use a 13mm swivel socket. remove both 13mm bolts and the dpf section should be free and hanging by just the hangers hooked to rubber grommets. hit them with penetrating oil again to make life easier. support the dpf with floor jack or have an extra set of hands, then start to pop the hangers out of the rubber grommets. lower dpf and start to install delete pipe in reverse order as the dpf came out. once delete pipe is bolted to down pipe and hung, connect rear tail assembly and your finished. cramk it up and hear the turbos come to life.

at this point i would take the truck for a short test drive making sure tuning is ok and truck is running properly(shifting maybe a little harsh due to the tranny needing to relearn. relearn process is all over the site. it consists of a few 0-65 runs from 1/4 throttle to full throttle and holding the brake firmly while shifting from park to reverse to drive to reverse to drive and waiting in between each gear change until you feel the tranny engage into gear etc.... the tranny learns from each time the truck is started so dont expect shifting to be perfect after one drive. it will take a few times to smooth out)

after your short drive, step 4 would be to install intake. the intake will come with pretty detailed instructions and very straight forward to do and can be done easily in less than an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.