Cold air intake or no - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold air intake or no

Hi guys new to the forum (forums in general) so if this topic has already been covered I truly apologize. Just bought a 2010 F250 6.4, and I couldnt be happier. I was looking into cold air intakes and began to wonder if it was really worth it, there really arent many bends/curves in the factory box, and it doesnt seem like the cold air intakes out there are really grabbing at any colder air. Could I just buy an aftermarket filter and get comparable results as if I used a cold air intake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I have read and seen the CAI really comes in handy when you tune and delete your truck.

It definitely wont hurt though.

Sent from my Back Pocket
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM

An aftermarket filet is better than stock for sure if you just want to improve flow a little. If you plan on tuning and deleting the truck in the future (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND) then I would just go ahead and buy a CAI. An aftermarket filter wont pull as much air as a cold air can, and If you try to run higher tunes then your gonna have trouble. Your truck will smoke like a freight train due to the fact that it cant pull enough air/breathe! Good luck. Try AFE or S&B, and check out Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog
Old 04-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFeverDisease View Post
An aftermarket filet is better than stock for sure if you just want to improve flow a little. If you plan on tuning and deleting the truck in the future (which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND) then I would just go ahead and buy a CAI. An aftermarket filter wont pull as much air as a cold air can, and If you try to run higher tunes then your gonna have trouble. Your truck will smoke like a freight train due to the fact that it cant pull enough air/breathe! Good luck. Try AFE or S&B, and check out Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog
Will any of these intakes throw a check engine light?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk77 View Post
Will any of these intakes throw a check engine light?
No, you will not throw and codes or check engine lights at all with a CAI. They are also fine at the dealership for warranty work if you still are covered under factory warranty. A programmer and DPF delete are not typically excepted though..... Although it's still worth it in my book. Do yourself a favor and go check your oil. If your motor oil/dip stick smells like diesel fuel then that is proof enough that regens are killing the life span of your engine, and you should strongly consider deleting/tuning. If it doesn't smell bad yet, then just wait untill you have an excessive regeneration problem and you will see what I mean. Good luck and
Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM

I don't think there is much benefit to getting an after market CAI unless you are going to tune the truck. The factory one does a good job. However, as others have said, doing a dpf/cat delete will only do good things for the motor and then you should indeed get one.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Dually Dog

Quote:
Hi guys new to the forum (forums in general) so if this topic has already been covered I truly apologize. Just bought a 2010 F250 6.4, and I couldnt be happier. I was looking into cold air intakes and began to wonder if it was really worth it, there really arent many bends/curves in the factory box, and it doesnt seem like the cold air intakes out there are really grabbing at any colder air. Could I just buy an aftermarket filter and get comparable results as if I used a col air intake?
Welcome!! I think the CAI helps, I run the afe stage II and on the 6.4 it puts the intake duct to the front right to the hood which allows the coolest air possible to enter instead of in a closed on box drawing the air from the passenger side. Keeping the EGT's low as possible is important if your going to do other mods. I wouldn't drive my truck without one especially with all the other mods I've done.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool some great info here, right now Im looking into the H&S CAI, Ill let everyone know how it works out, I intend on programming/DPF delete, Im just taking some baby steps here, this is the first diesel Ive had where any of this was possible. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Cool some great info here, right now Im looking into the H&S CAI, Ill let everyone know how it works out, I intend on programming/DPF delete, Im just taking some baby steps here, this is the first diesel Ive had where any of this was possible. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys
We have all been in your same shoes. It has been a night and day difference after I did the h&s tuner, s&b intake, and dpf delete.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM

I would strongly recomend doing the Cold Air Intake kit!! I would get a AFE Stage II as this is one of the best you can get for the 6.4 If I was going to get anyother setup, it would be a S&B intake, but I just think that the AFE is better. You will notice a BIG difference if you have your truck tuned and deleted with a cold air kit. Let me know if you need one as I know someone who has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.