6.4 exhaust/mph question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 exhaust/mph question

so let me begin by saying I dont know a whole lot about the 6.4's because I own a 6.0. but my grandfather has a 2008 6.4 and loves it. tremendous power, great quality as all fords are in my opinion. the only thing he hates is how bad the gas milage is. is there a way to improve the mpg on his truck? I know with the newer cummins you can rip out the stock exhaust and put a programmer on it to greatly improve mpg. is there a safe way to do this on the 6.4? his waranty is almost up so thats not a factor, but I'm trying to find the safest way to help him

any ideas would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 AM

Definitely do a DPF/CAT Delete and Cold Air Intake....and run a Tuner...H&S or Spartan will do the trick. He will see improved MPG's and Power. All for around $1000 . Contact the folks at

Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog

They will hook you up and answer any questions.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM

thanks for the help. do you know what he can expect mpg wise? its pretty bad right now I think he's around 15-16 highway with NO trailer
Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06DieforDiesel View Post
thanks for the help. do you know what he can expect mpg wise? its pretty bad right now I think he's around 15-16 highway with NO trailer
That pretty much has to do with him keeping his foot out of it. He should see in the 19-20 range if he drives sensibly on the highway. There are guys that get better and those that dont see as much of an improvement because the skinny pedal is way too tempting for them.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:13 AM

ok great thats good to hear esp cuz he's old so he typically doesnt drag race the high school teenagers anymore. so if you could help with one final thing that would be great. I'm seeing alot of these dpf/cat deletes and was wondering if the one piece of pipe they show in the picture will delete both the dpf and cat? also what is the cheapest and simplest programmer to buy to complete this procedure? he doesnt need a 200hp thing, just something that he cant see and turns of the sensors.

thanks again
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM

There are 2 options...1 of which is a delete pipe that just takes the place of the DPF and CAT. There are also Full Exhaust Systems that are DownPipe Back systems. The Delete Pipe would be more than adequate for what he is trying to do (which is what you are seeing in the picture). H&S makes an XRT Pro that is the cheapest of their tuners but I would recommend the Mini Maxx. It is not that much more expensive but the benefits are great. Shifting tunes on the fly etc. H&S does not charge for any of their tunes so whether you want no gain or 275+ it is all the same money.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 AM

wow ok great. thats crazy they dont charge for their tunes! so step 1: buy just the simple dpf/cat pipe. 2: buy a s&b cold air intake. 3: buy the XRT Pro or the Mini Maxx for a grand total of just over a 1,000 bucks. see to me that sounds well worth it plus the benefits are amazing but he's an old, old school kinda guy so its gonna be hard convincing him to go through with this

is there a place I can like package all this together and get it from one place?

but thanks again
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06DieforDiesel View Post
wow ok great. thats crazy they dont charge for their tunes! so step 1: buy just the simple dpf/cat pipe. 2: buy a s&b cold air intake. 3: buy the XRT Pro or the Mini Maxx for a grand total of just over a 1,000 bucks. see to me that sounds well worth it plus the benefits are amazing but he's an old, old school kinda guy so its gonna be hard convincing him to go through with this

is there a place I can like package all this together and get it from one place?

but thanks again
The customer service cant be beat. Plus they are on powerstroke.org so can answer questions on here as well.

Performance Truck Products - DPF Delete Kits & Diesel Performance Parts from MBRP, H&S, EDGE, Diamond Eye, Banks, BullyDog
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just did the exact thing to my '09 this past week. XRT tuner, diamond delete pipe, S&B cold air intake for around $1400. What a difference!!! Can't tell you about MPG's yet. haven't had it on long enough. I was looking for the same as your GP though. Did it all myself in the barn. 6-8 hours total
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just remembered that price also included an EGR delete. Haven't had time to install that yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.