Banks vs AFE blade runner intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
Banks vs AFE blade runner intercooler

Just wondering what some of you guys think is the best out of these two. Who is running which ones seems like AFE flows 25% better then banks accorrding to the website. Interested in getting and intercooler for the rig just want to see what others think before I make the purchase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Im curious as well, allthough banks intercooler has plastic parts I beleive. Which under high pressure may fail easier. And afe is on a long backorder according to rivercity.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My buddies Banks intercooler does not have any plastic parts at all. At the pulls up here I see a lot more Banks then anything else.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM

I thought the tabs for resevoir were still plastic? Afe are fairly new, came out last summer and being all aluminum with a stated 150 degree drop in egt they were a hit. And for sure on backorder...... I havent seen the banks one in person, last summer I blew mine and wanted an upgrade, I was going to order Banks and was told not to for two reasons: it was so similar to stock(plastic side caps) and afe's all aluminum was do out within weeks, which was suppose to be much better. Bet ill be honest,,,, I GOT NO
CLUE, im in the same boat as you are. Good to know though now, and youd see more banks because they came out shortly after the 6.4s were released to public.... Give er take a couple months..

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM

Said nothing on PTP website about being on back order, AFE runs about $1200 and banks close to $1000 just trying to see if the AFE is worth the extra money or not. Does the banks just come with the intercooler itself or the bundle with intake elbow and intercooler pipes? However in the banks description no numbers are displayed where AFE numbers say in description at the intercooler temps drop 200 degrees and EGT drop 100 degrees with increase of airflow at 74% over stock and outflow banks at 25% just trying to see which is the best product and which the truck can benefit the most from
Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM

I haven't seen the AFE up close but there was a thread on here where a user (diesel23)bought a Banks unit and the welds are disgusting on it. No way I'd spend $1000 on a unit that looks like that! Here are his pictures:

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I can say ,Other then the crappy welds (they are very beefy) ,It holds up and im super happy with it !! It doesnt come with anything but the intercooler ,I have noticed a good 100 degree drop in egt's across the board ,from cruising to WOT , I was in the same boat with deciding , and went banks ,i got a smoking deal i couldnt pass up , Good luck in your discision
Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Seems like both are great products and banks is the best bang for the buck but if you want a better looking intercooler AFE is the way to go. You gotta know what your doing when it comes to welding aluminum I guess that's what the extra $200 bucks is for for appearance. I would like someone or a vendor input about AFE intercooler just to get another view of AFE
Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are the inlets and outlets diameters the same on both brands? I thought the banks was available with larger diameter ones.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

No Limit Fabrication. Done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.