Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Mini maxx trans settings

39K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  travisH3 
#1 ·
How do I get to the SL2 option? New to this tuner and need insight please. Thanks!

#2 ·
When you plug the tuner into the computer, that's where you can pick which trans tuning. I think that's the only way to change tranny tune.

#3 · (Edited)
hey there sy1616,

i cannot access the HSperformance website at the moment..as soon as i can i will post the links for you to get the trans schedule you want....

there are two schedules....Schedule 1 - S1L,S1M,S1H which has the 4th gear TCLockup and 5thgear TCLockup

Schedule 2 - S2L,S2M,S2H...which only has a 5th gear TCLockup

the L,M,H indicates what rpm the shift points occur low,medium&high.

take your SD card out of the tuner...gently push it in and it will release and pop out of your Mini Maxx.
put the SD card into the USB sized carrier(supplied with your Mini Maxx) it only goes in one way ...
go to the H&S website...get to the page with the update instructions..insert the USB plug into your computer & do not scan the card if your computer prompts you toooo(i suggest using a computer that is plugged in to your internet provider..not wireless...it goes much faster i find...)
RUN the HSU updater program ...when it pops up choose your vehicle and the custom tune areas will allow your choices from their drop down menus. choose your options and click on 'update card'

Once your done....put the card back into your Mini Maxx and turn it on....goto menu...scroll down to 'update firmware' ....update the firmware....then back to menu...and install your new tune...(the tuner will provide the needed prompts to complete each step)

we used to have to download & unzip each custom tune we wanted to load...I believe the HSU now does this for you now(thanks to the nice folks at H&S)but you can still download the trans tunes from the website and save them to your 'Documents' and 'extract' /'unzip' them for loading.

Happy tuning...be sure to register & say hello to everyone at the WELCOME MAT on the H&S forums....there's a bunch of great people on there that always want to help.

#4 ·
One more thing SY.....( as the great detective Columbo would say)

check your trans fluid prior to doing your re-learn procedure...it takes Motorcraft LV...

i do a combination of the H&S and the Spartan trans re-learn procedures....and your transmission is whats refered to as an 'Adaptive Memory' transmission...so it will shift better and more to your driving style the more miles you put on it and turn the truck on & off.

the transmission gets reset anytime you re-install a tune or disconnect your batteries.

on a personal note...(my 2cents) i suggest you set your Low Boost Fueling (LBF) at -0- and leave the default defueling settings for now...also your cruise control will not work until your turn the truck off for the second time after installing a new tune.

if this info was way more then your required...i apologize....i try to be thorough and clear....but most of all make you happy with your trucks performance and capabilities.

#5 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
....Like I said.....and this is ME...i use a combination of two re-learn procedures.....here are both...

Transmission Reset / Relearn

The 5R110 automatic transmission on the 2008 – 2010 6.4L Powerstroke has what is called Adaptive Memory and is constantly learning and adapting to different horsepower levels, temperatures, driving habits, etc. After completing the Install Download process on the 6.4L Powerstroke, the Transmission Adaptive Memory is automatically reset. We highly recommend performing a Transmission Relearn procedure after installing H&S tuning to help the transmission perform correctly with the added horsepower. The 5R110 automatic transmission will eventually learn over time on its own, but the relearn procedure gives a good baseline for the adaptive learning and helps to speed up the learning process. To perform the relearn procedure, please follow these instructions:
When re-training the transmission, ALWAYS follow posted speed limits. Do NOT attempt runs in adverse weather conditions such as snow, ice, rain, wind, or any other conditions that may affect your vehicles traction or impair your visibility!

1.After H&S tuning is installed, perform each of the following 0-80 MPH runs while in the HOT power level. During this relearn process, you may experience hesitation during shifts, hard shifts, or defuel patterns, all of which are normal:
•0-80 MPH @ 25% throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.
•0-80 MPH @ 50% throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.
•0-80 MPH @ 100% throttle position, then slow down and come to a complete stop.

The Transmission Relearn procedure is complete.

Note: On any vehicle using 3” or larger lift blocks under the rear leaf pack, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to install traction bars. With any added horsepower, failure to do so may result in harsh shifting and may cause premature transmission and/or driveline damage.

The following is the Spartan re-learn procedures>>>

>SPARTAN TCM
1. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60 mph at approximately 1/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
2. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
3. From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70 mph at approximately 3/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
4. From a 40 mph roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift) and accelerate to around 75 mph.
5. From a stop, acclerate to 75 mph at wide open throttle (press the accelator to the floor immediately). DO THIS 2-3 TIMES.

Low Boost Fueling

This option allows for adjustment of the amount of fuel injected under low boost conditions. There are 5 different settings for Low Boost Fueling:
0 – Lowest Fueling
1 – Low Fueling
2 – Medium Fueling (Default)
3 – Moderate Fueling
4 – High Fueling

Note: The low boost fueling adjustment will affect ALL power levels. This option can only be adjusted during the Install Download process.

#7 ·
If you have a heavy foot and race around use schedule 2. When u have it floored you dont want the TC locking up outa 4. Only in 5th. Kinda similar to allison 6 speed. This is info via H&S. They sent me custom tune w custome shift, based off of schedule 2. Schedule 1 is geared toward more towing situations. I use schedule 2 w medium shift point...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
why dont you want the tq converter locking in 4th? im kinda confused about the tranny tuning now. i have been on the s1m and have been doing heavy towing but the truck wont be towing heavy anymore, our 6.7 will. so what should i switch to for daily driving, hauling and occasionally small trailer?

#9 ·
sy1616
thanks for the positive feedback, obviously, i never know when enough is enough....i hope you find a tune that makes you day...:thumb:

#10 ·
I drive very conservatively hardly ever going over 2000rpm. What shift schedule do you guys recommend forbest mpg. Also, I have the latest firmware and updated my tune but I never have seen the option to change my LBF setting. Can anyone help me find this somewhere in my menu/tuner? Also I run the dpf present with mild tuning. I have an MBRP dpf back exhaust and an AFE stage 2 CAI.

#11 ·
:banging:well Wtrski413...at least the LBF setting is sorted out......:poster:

#12 ·
Ohh man, id reccomend deleting dpf!! You have to download it from H&S website, then transfer into tuner. Either by usb cable, or inserting micro sd into computer, via sd card holder. Its kind of confusing but there website has awesome instructions....ie: if you delete dpf it makes a huge difference! Well your at it a adjustable egr deletr with wastegate and that truck will scoot! But atleast dpf delete, its an awesome, cheap upgrade!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.