Spartan Tuning Levels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan Tuning Levels

Hello
I will apologize if this subject has been answered or beat to death, but I searched and could not find a clear answer.
1. What tuning levels are good for mpg
2. What tuning levels are safe for stock tranny and headbolts, I'm looking for longevity.
2.5 What levels have the softies built in?
3. How do you set the defuel point, is it the high limit on the egt guage, which I have set for 1300.
4. What tunes cycle the egr all the time, at idle only, and none at all, except the egr off tunes of course?
5. Please consider all of this as I tow a 5k trailer and would not want to change tunes a lot
6. I noticed when I tow I get a steady 700-900 egt, with a peak around 1050, and when I hit a big hill, I see ect of 202 and eot of 208, am I still I'm the safe zone, and this was with the 75hp tune, which is my peak.
My mods are cai, doc dpf delete and 4" filter back no muffler and of course Spartan.
I love this tuner and 6.4, thanks for making a great product that you guys keep making better.
Thanks
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The higher the better for mpg, if you can keep your foot out of it!
If you are aggressive most of time driving id keep it 250 or lower tune.
Those temps sound fine, not that hot at all.

Thats all I have for now. (watching SCF)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:08 PM

1- The higher HP tunes give better MPG up to about the 250 tune, after that my MPG's starting going back down (others have had different results)

2- 250 and below

2.5 - As far as I know the only tune with safeties in it is the 210 tow performance tune ( maybe someone from Spartan will chime in with a more definite answer)

3- Defuel point is not user adjustable with Spartan, its either built in to the tune or its not.

4- 275 and above never cycle EGR , 210/250 do at idle (from personal experience prior to EGR delete), I think the 75 and below tunes cycle the EGR like factory (again maybe Spartan will chime in with more exact details)

5- A 5k pound trailer is nothing for these trucks (hell, my wife’s ford explorer is rated for that). I use the 210 tow performance late lock-up EGR delete tune everyday and like it a lot. But I tow an 18K pound trailer on a fairly regular basis. Try running the 250 late lock-up and see how it does, they go to the 210 , 210 TP ..... until you find the one YOU like.

6- All those numbers are well within safe limits, no problems there.

Last edited by Antonm; 04-12-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM

i always run between 275-310 tune on my truck. You will be fine as long as you dont have a heavy foot. Defuel is something that you can not do with spartan. I towed once with the tow tune and i was not happy so i started using the 275. Try running 275 tune and see how it does, if you do not like it then switch it up
Old 04-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Your temps are normal and like others have stated 5000 is nothing.I seem to find that the 210 is an all around good tune, just be careful and watch your gauges.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Best mileage on the highway is my 275 tune, best around town in my 250 tune because it isnt as smokey coming off stop lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.