Tuner hiding codes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner hiding codes?

Running a Spartan with current updates... Determined a while ago that I have a clogged oil cooler. Loaded stock tune and took it to the dealer. (they let me keep the pipe on) They said it won't be covered under warranty unless they can show Ford that a code has been logged, showing that the EOT and ECT's are off. They said I should get a code when the temp difference is more than 10 degrees. Well, mine has been 30 to 40, so why no code? Even with the stock file loaded, they couldn't get a code to show up in about 15 miles.

Will my tuner hide, or disallow codes to show up???

Technician suggested putting the dpf/cat back on and running the stock file until I get the CEL.

Some advice please? This is going to be a 1500+ repair if I can't get the warranty to kick in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The DashDAQ will show any code that your ECM puts out.

Have you checked both OBDII and Ford Specific DTC's? Just because there is no CEL doesn't mean that there isn't a pending DTC.

Did the tech use an IDS to see if there were any codes?
Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 AM

I don't know what the tech used but he did say that there was an "erase code" in there. cant remember what he said it was. maybe like P0001 or something like that. There are no DTC's in the dashdaq and I haven't erased any. Actually, I did erase a shift slip many months ago, so maybe that's what it was.

Problem is, the dealer can't tell the warranty people "this fella sees 35 degrees difference between ECT and EOT on his tuner"... they need to be able to tell them "he has 'this' code". Otherwise, how would I know this unless I had a programmer telling me.

tech also said it MIGHT be thermostats, but leans toward the clogged cooler.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:03 AM

he can read it all on his IDS scanner and with his eyes be able to see the difference. so why they are tellin you, you have to wait for a cel is beyond me. just tell him to plug his scanner in, go for a drive and see the difference. once he see's it then that should be enough to tell ford "hey this guy has xxx problem" if they arent willing to do that then find someone else to do it
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM

I think what the point is, is "how did this guy know he had a problem" without the truck throwing a code. Suck a$$ thing is, the ford dealership is about 5 minutes from my house. The next one is nearly an hour away.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM

to fords knowledge if they dont tell them you had a tuner you just monitor stuff with your edge insight. or you went and had it checked at a local shop. they cant get you for something like that. only thing they can get you on is having the tuner and stuff on
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM

F-it put your stock pipe back on and go get it fixed... you would be done by now.......
Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Stock pipe is back on. Can't get it to show this code that the dealer is expecting. Course, I haven't really put more than 15 miles on it yet. Will be towing my trailer about 100 miles tomorrow, hopefully we can get something to turn up.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Have your considered replacing the EOT sensor just to see if that's the problem?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Yes, I have considered that. After speaking with the tech at the stealership, he indicated that it probably wasn't the problem. The sensor would be covered under a TSB, but if they get in there and it checks out, then I am out 300-400 bucks. Which is better than a cab-off situation... If I can't get this code to rear its ugly head when I tow this evening and tomorrow, (all back to stock) I am going to have to start throwing parts at it, or maybe taking it to another dealer. Like I said, its just nice that this one is in town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.