question about H&S trans tunes. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
question about H&S trans tunes.

I will be towing my 27ft enclosed car hauler with my 4 door jk jeep to Moab for EJS. Jeep weighs about 4500lbs plus gear and the trailer weighs in about 3k.. What trans tune is the best for towing? I will be going up through some mtn passes too.. I really dont care for the trans tune that came standard on my mini.. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Anyone?? I have heard the S2L is a good one. Insights on that??
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoastfreestyle View Post
Anyone?? I have heard the S2L is a good one. Insights on that??
That is the trans tune I have been running. I like it because it locks up the TC in 4th gear and then shifts into 5th at 50 mph. I haven't towed with it yet so I don't know how well it will work for that situation or what effect tow/haul mode has on it either. The main reason I am using it is I think it is the best for fuel economy.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkyplr View Post
That is the trans tune I have been running. I like it because it locks up the TC in 4th gear and then shifts into 5th at 50 mph. I haven't towed with it yet so I don't know how well it will work for that situation or what effect tow/haul mode has on it either. The main reason I am using it is I think it is the best for fuel economy.
Hkyplr....you should check ' show settings' on your tuner...only the Schedule 1 does the 4th gear TC Lockup.

Icecoastfreestyle....try the S2L..and do your trans re-learn.....as well as turning the truck on and off several times over the course of the day....the adaptive memory transmission gets better and better.

IMO....S2L works well for daily driving and hauling....for me.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueshift View Post
Hkyplr....you should check ' show settings' on your tuner...only the Schedule 1 does the 4th gear TC Lockup.
You are right, I stand corrected.
I am running the S1L program, not the S2L.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 AM

I would try any of the second set of trans tunes......the first set all lock up the TQ in 4th and 5th. The second set only lock up in 5th. I run S2M for DD and towing. My TQ locks on the HYW at 50mph, and stays in 1-4 around town.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did a search and found this thread.. So sorry to dig up and old one but rather than start a new one I found this one sort of answered my questions. I recently installed the Mini and DPF del kit. It's set on S1L trans tune and I did the relearn process as directed in the manual (in the performance tune). I guess the problem is I'm running my truck in the stock tune.. I'm not really interested in running hotter tunes, and I really don't like the way my trans is acting now.. So I guess the answer would be to change to the S2L trans tune and go through the relearn process again? What do you guys think???
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbuckaroo7 View Post
Did a search and found this thread.. So sorry to dig up and old one but rather than start a new one I found this one sort of answered my questions. I recently installed the Mini and DPF del kit. It's set on S1L trans tune and I did the relearn process as directed in the manual (in the performance tune). I guess the problem is I'm running my truck in the stock tune.. I'm not really interested in running hotter tunes, and I really don't like the way my trans is acting now.. So I guess the answer would be to change to the S2L trans tune and go through the relearn process again? What do you guys think???
How long have you have the tune loaded for? It will take a couple hundred miles to really smooth out. If you have had it loaded for awhile now and it still doesn't appeal to you then yes load up another tune and try it out. I used to do the re-learn but in the last few times I didn't and it really didn't seem to make a difference in the way the tranny learns so if you ask me the relearn isn't totally necessary. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty6.4 View Post
How long have you have the tune loaded for? It will take a couple hundred miles to really smooth out. If you have had it loaded for awhile now and it still doesn't appeal to you then yes load up another tune and try it out. I used to do the re-learn but in the last few times I didn't and it really didn't seem to make a difference in the way the tranny learns so if you ask me the relearn isn't totally necessary. Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the reply! I emailed H&S and this is the info they gave me (may be helpful for other folks that have the same questions):

"Thank you for the email. We would be happy to explain the differences. Based on what you have said, it sounds like you would be happier with the Schedule 2 Medium trans tune. For your convenience, the different options are explained below -

There are 2 shifting schedules that you will be able to choose from.

Shift Schedule 1 or "SS1" -
1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 4th+TC Lock - 5th+TC Lock

Shift Schedule 2 or "SS2" -
1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th - 5th+TC Lock

You will be able to choose a shift point - Low, Medium or High.

The shift points correspond to the throttle position, RPM and speed of the truck.

SHIFT SCHEDULE 1: For Shift Schedule 1 tunes, the LOW, MED, and HIGH modifiers will affect the 4th gear TC lock point, 5th gear shift point, and the 5th gear TC lock point.
- Low: as soon as the truck shifts into 4th gear the torque converter will lock up.
- Med: the truck will shift into 4th gear and accelerate to a med rpm speed and then torque converter will lock up.
- High: the torque converter will lock up in 4th gear, but you will get maximum speed and acceleration before it locks up.

We recommend doing the re-learn in the highest power level that you will realistically be running. If you will run it on Tow and never higher, Tow is fine. If you will never go above Stock, then Stock is fine."
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM

S2 schedules will get the trans fluid really hot going over big mountain passes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.