Exhaust Clarification - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Clarification

I have been doing my research on exhausts, but need a little clarification on what I am actually looking at. When looking at them I see many different options to include strictly the DPF delete pipe (understand that), turbo back, and down pipe back, muffler/no muffler (understand), and 4 and 5 inch sizes.

I am just a little uneducated on what this all means/does to the truck.

For the average guy looking to increase reliability and fuel mileage, what is the best option (not brand wise)? Basically what I am unsure about is what is the benefit of the extra inch and whether it is located at the downpipe or turbo? Would the daily driver looking for mpg just need the pipe or are there more benefits to going with a full system?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Down pipe( think of it as not replacing headers on a 69 Chevell) back 4 inch no muffler, for the every day driver. It gets rid of everything under the truck. Turbo will require extensive under the hood work (headers). Four inch with a 5 inch tip looks very nice.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Getting a dpf delete pipe with a tuner is the easiest way to go while increasing the longevity of your motor and making a change back to stock for warranty purposes easiest.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM

What year and motor?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

DPF Delete Pipe: This is a pipe that will delete the DPF only. This pipe will bolt directly in place of the DPF.

DPF/Cat Delete Pipes: This kit will delete the DPF/Cat and bolt directly into your factory exhaust. This pipe kit has the 2 bolt ball and socket flange on one end which bolt up to the down-pipe, and a slip joint on the other end which bolts to the DPF back portion of the exhaust. This kit is recommended over the DPF delete pipe alone as this kit is easier to install and gets better results.

Down Pipe Back Exhaust: These kits will replace everything from the down pipe, back. The first pipe in the system bolts to the 2 bolt ball and socket flange at the bottom of the down pipe and replaces the rest of the exhaust. This kit will delete you DPF, Cat, and remainder of the exhaust.

Turbo Back Exhaust: These kits will replace your entire exhaust system. This is the kit recommended for best results as it not only replaces everything that the down pipe kit does, but also the restrictive down pipe. While the down pipe looks big from the factory (4") it is actual double walled meaning there is another pipe inside that pipe which is squeezed down close to 3". All turbo back kits will use a 2 piece 4" down pipe as that is the largest diameter that will fit.

Most people go with a down pipe back kit because they are very easy to install and perform well. Also, some are scared to remove the stock down pipe because you have to cut it out meaning the factory down pipe can never be put back in place. To some this is a big deal, to others it is not as they would rather have the extra drop in EGT's.

As far as exhaust size goes, 4" will get the job done, but most really like the sound of the 5" kits due to the deeper tone. The 6.4L remains rather quiet even when straight piped so 5" without a muffler is very popular. If you want a deep sounding system without the turbo hiss, we recommend a 5" kit with a muffler. If all you are after is performance, go with a 4" straight piped kit.

Bungs vs. no bungs is another question that often comes up. If you are using an H&S or Spartan tuner you want to get a kit without bungs. The bungs are there to put the factory sensors in. Since the H&S and Spartan tuning disables those sensors, they are not needed. I have also heard that the SCT tuning no longer needs the bungs, but the sensors must remain plugged in under the truck and zip tied up out of the way. To me, it would probably just be easier to use a kit that has bungs at that point.

I hope this helps clarify a few things. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:31 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
So with a 5" turbo back I shouldn't have to put up with that jet sound hopefully right?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes, you will have the jet sound. If you dont want as much of it, you will need to add a muffler.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:17 AM

I have a 5 inch downpipe back pro flo with muffler. There's a light rumble and jet sound. I prefer a quiet exhaust. It's not too bad. I can drive with the windows down.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
DPF Delete Pipe: This is a pipe that will delete the DPF only. This pipe will bolt directly in place of the DPF.

DPF/Cat Delete Pipes: This kit will delete the DPF/Cat and bolt directly into your factory exhaust. This pipe kit has the 2 bolt ball and socket flange on one end which bolt up to the down-pipe, and a slip joint on the other end which bolts to the DPF back portion of the exhaust. This kit is recommended over the DPF delete pipe alone as this kit is easier to install and gets better results.

Down Pipe Back Exhaust: These kits will replace everything from the down pipe, back. The first pipe in the system bolts to the 2 bolt ball and socket flange at the bottom of the down pipe and replaces the rest of the exhaust. This kit will delete you DPF, Cat, and remainder of the exhaust.

Turbo Back Exhaust: These kits will replace your entire exhaust system. This is the kit recommended for best results as it not only replaces everything that the down pipe kit does, but also the restrictive down pipe. While the down pipe looks big from the factory (4") it is actual double walled meaning there is another pipe inside that pipe which is squeezed down close to 3". All turbo back kits will use a 2 piece 4" down pipe as that is the largest diameter that will fit.

Most people go with a down pipe back kit because they are very easy to install and perform well. Also, some are scared to remove the stock down pipe because you have to cut it out meaning the factory down pipe can never be put back in place. To some this is a big deal, to others it is not as they would rather have the extra drop in EGT's.

As far as exhaust size goes, 4" will get the job done, but most really like the sound of the 5" kits due to the deeper tone. The 6.4L remains rather quiet even when straight piped so 5" without a muffler is very popular. If you want a deep sounding system without the turbo hiss, we recommend a 5" kit with a muffler. If all you are after is performance, go with a 4" straight piped kit.

Bungs vs. no bungs is another question that often comes up. If you are using an H&S or Spartan tuner you want to get a kit without bungs. The bungs are there to put the factory sensors in. Since the H&S and Spartan tuning disables those sensors, they are not needed. I have also heard that the SCT tuning no longer needs the bungs, but the sensors must remain plugged in under the truck and zip tied up out of the way. To me, it would probably just be easier to use a kit that has bungs at that point.

I hope this helps clarify a few things. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
10-4 Thank you very much! This helps alot. Looks like it will be a downpipe back. Not really to concerned with loud pipes and turning heads, just mpg, so most likey 4". I will be contacting PTP soon to get a little further in depth on brands!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
Yes, you will have the jet sound. If you dont want as much of it, you will need to add a muffler.
Dang. I like the strait pipe sound. what causes that Jet sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.