What to do while cab is off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do while cab is off

I was looking at the Industrial Injection Ford 6.4L Race Series Injectors 60hp Race 1. I will be pulling the cab in the next few months to do head studs so i figured why not do a little more while i was under the hood. I was thinking about doing these injectors but im not sure. This truck is my DD and i will be hauling trailors with the truck. I have a few questions i hope you can help me out with.

Would these be good injectors for me?

What other modification will be needed to run them?

Was planning on using APR for head studs, good choice?

Want to do push rods while its apart what do you recommend?

Anything else i should look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

I by no means will claim to be an expert, but I will also be removing the cab soon to fix a head gasket that is failing. I guess you have to consider your goals, but for me, the injectors will be one of my last mods even though they could probably give you some good dyno numbers. My reasoning is fairly simple (and may be incorrect so I look forward to some of the responses you get). Since Jeff was able to gain 50 HP just by changing the atmospheric turbo with the only mod on the fuel side of his truck was a ported rail, I am convinced that with most of our trucks as they are now, air flow is limiting factor for HP (which includes poor flowing heads). Of course, 8 hole injectors probably would help with atomization versus the stuck 6 hole injectors. So unless you increase your air flow through the engine, your HP gains won't be real streetable (having to let off the gas because your EGTs, etc. are too high especially when towing) with just injectors because injectors will only make the lack of air flow problems magnified (i.e., high EGTs, increased drive pressure [exhaust back pressure], possibly overspeeding your high pressure turbo if you’re not waste gated, possible blown up pipes). I guess water/meth or NOS could help with the EGTs, but I am still skeptical about how safe those kits are for DDs. I am also pretty sure you would need to upgrade your lift pump and probably the HPFP or else your rail pressure would may drop when at WOT. You may also need to do a wastegate since you will be increasing you drive pressure with more fuel (assuming stock exhaust manifold, up pipes, turbos. I live in a hilly/mountainous area and when I tow heavy, I am always fighting high EGTs and I am completely stock on the fuel side of the equation so I am going with trying to increase the air flow first. My goals are reliability, streetability, and then power. I definitely want to do a turbo upgrade. Since I have read about several up pipe failures, I am going to be upgrading the exhaust manifold and up pipes although that is more for reliability. I am afraid that if I significantly increase the air flow to the turbos with larger up pipes and ported exhaust manifolds I would also need to add as wastegate. That’s just my 2 cents.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM

I was thinking about that and im not sure what i want to do. Either a different turbo set up or the batmowheel. Like i said before im not going for TONS of power. I will not be sled pulling and i will not be dragging racing it all the time. This will be my DD and will be pulling a trailor. Im just wanting more power for that reason and maybe to the strip once a year if that.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

I wish I had more time to find to see how other trucks have done with various manifold, up pipe, and turbo up grades, but I need to get my truck back on the road for towing (right now my head gasket doesn't leak as long as I run mild programs and I am not towing). I am able to use a different truck for towing under 10K right now, but in the next 1-2 months, I am going to be towing a JD 450. Gross weight of the dozer and trailer is 25K so there aint no way I can do that on a failing HG!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstroke_02 View Post
Anything else i should look into?
Check over the rockers for cracked plastic retainers or whatever they are called.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:16 AM

Okay here is a new list.

Bigger down pipe not sure which brand
APR headstuds with OEM gaskets
BeeHive stage 1 valve springs with locators
MBRP passanger side intercooler pipe
stage 1 ported intake
stage 2 7/16 pushrods
AirDog II DF-165 w/ Built-In Adj Reg Quick Disconnect
Industrial Injection Ford 6.4L Race Series Injectors 60hp
Industrial Injection 08-10 Ford 6.4L PHAT SHAFT 71/58MM TURBO (Low pres 71MM Billet, High Pres 58MM) 750HP

Also tranny will be done before any of this. I just want to get a list ready for when my head gasket goes. I have damn near 200k on my truck and i run spartan 310 tune as a DD.

The tranny is still up in the air, meaning i dont know which one to get. We have a company called certified transmission here in ks that say the road ripper 3000 they build will hold up to anything. Then there is the suncoast that well damn near everyone runs but it is just so damn HIGH in price.

Also after all this is done what tunning do you recommend?
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Okay here is a new list.

stage 1 ported intake
stage 2 7/16 pushrods
Industrial Injection 08-10 Ford 6.4L PHAT SHAFT 71/58MM TURBO (Low pres 71MM Billet, High Pres 58MM) 750HP

Also tranny will be done before any of this. I just want to get a list ready for when my head gasket goes. I have damn near 200k on my truck and i run spartan 310 tune as a DD.

The tranny is still up in the air, meaning i dont know which one to get. We have a company called certified transmission here in ks that say the road ripper 3000 they build will hold up to anything. Then there is the suncoast that well damn near everyone runs but it is just so damn HIGH in price.

Holy s%#, you aint messin around. I thought you were just doin injectors.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Okay here is a new list.

stage 1 ported intake
stage 2 7/16 pushrods

To your Trans Question... I just recieved my Roadripper 3000 with billit triple disc torque convertor today... Hope to have time to get installed next week and then i will post back feedback... I already have a 99 250 w/5.4 with there road ripper 1000 in it with good results arfter 4 yrs.. So im crossing my fingers with the ripper 3000
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Ya if im going to pull the cab for something i want to do it all at once so i wont have to do it agian.

Yes let me know how the trans does cause i am very interested in the 3000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.