Debating switching overfrom a 7.3 to a 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Debating switching overfrom a 7.3 to a 6.4

I recently sold my 99 F250 7.3 and had planned to buy another one but a crew cab instead of extended cab, but heres my thing I put together a build sheet for my next 7.3 and it will cost me ruffly $4500 to get around 500whp and thats before I break the stock trans and have to replace it with a built one another $4500, I have a friend who owns a 2008 6.4 and he really likes it I have also heard the transmissions in these trucks are really strong as well? I would like to know what kind of money and what parts I would need to make around 500-550 whp with a 6.4 and how reliable they are at that range and what ever other advice you could give me about them thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08powersmoke08 View Post
I recently sold my 99 F250 7.3 and had planned to buy another one but a crew cab instead of extended cab, but heres my thing I put together a build sheet for my next 7.3 and it will cost me ruffly $4500 to get around 500whp and thats before I break the stock trans and have to replace it with a built one another $4500, I have a friend who owns a 2008 6.4 and he really likes it I have also heard the transmissions in these trucks are really strong as well? I would like to know what kind of money and what parts I would need to make around 500-550 whp with a 6.4 and how reliable they are at that range and what ever other advice you could give me about them thanks.
You can make 575 rwhp roughly with just a tune, intake exhaust (dpf delete) for about 1500 bucks.
If you delete the EGR, DPF and cat they are reliable. BUT maintenance is KEY with these. Oil changes every 5,000, drain water/fuel seperator every 2 weeks just treat em good and they will treat u good back.
Once u own a NBS u wont ever want an OBS again in my opinion. The interiors are just comfortable as they can get in my book.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

575, anywhere near that would put a smile on my face Im really good about maintaining my truck so that would be no problem, How does the trans hold up with mods ? and do you know around what the EGR delete kit costs ?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 AM

Yeah the torqshift is a beefy trans I know guys who are putting down over 600 and its holding... For how long who knows but if u treat it right it will last a long time at around 500 I would imagine.
There are a few different ways u can go with the EGR-
Cheapest being-
1.Block plates 20-30 bucks
2. Sinister or RCD or similar delete kit 199.00-300.00 or so
3. Wide Open Performance or similar wastegated egr delete- 799.00 and up
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I will probably go with the block plates, does it throw any codes when you do that? also whats the fuel economy like if you drive it with some sense ? just trying to get as much information as I can about them before I make up my mind.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08powersmoke08 View Post
I will probably go with the block plates, does it throw any codes when you do that? also whats the fuel economy like if you drive it with some sense ? just trying to get as much information as I can about them before I make up my mind.
No codes if you have a programmer.... Same with deleting the DPF. These trucks are stout for sure, but they can be temperamental. They are not as care free as the 7.3 but you just have to take good care of them like stated above. 550 rwhp is once again easy. A few common items to replace are radiator hoses.... Upper and lower. Only $50 a piece if you buy from tascaparts.com and they aren't to bad to change. They will need to be updated almost guaranteed (ford changed the design from 1 O ring to 2 O rings at the connection)
Also my tranny was one of the RARE cases where it grenaded itself after being tuned. But my truck had 57k miles on it and I had no clue about the previous owner and his habits. (bought from dealership)
These trucks are awesome if you delete them, tune them, and take good care of them!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With the spartan tuner, 5'' exhaust(turbo back) and AFE intake running the 310 tune, my wife's truck averaged 17-18 overall. That was keeping up with traffic, no jackrabbit starts, and other good mpg habits. And yeah, the interiors are far nicer than the earlier models 07 back. The egr delete will take several hours, Ford didn't want those removed, that's for sure. It took me and my wife about 8 hours to get everything done, if you are on your own plan over a weekend just in case.

Last edited by kdogg85; 03-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM

It too me and a buddy 2.5 hours to delete the EGR coolers, but both of us are very mechanical. I could see it being a chore for someone not use to working on vehicles.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=Casey02L;2968618]It too me and a buddy 2.5 hours to delete the EGR coolers, but both of us are very mechanical. I could see it being a chore for someone not use to working on vehicles.[/

WOw thats FAST! Good job
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Get a 6.4L, you wont regret it. As others have stated, these trucks are very easy to get to 550HP AND they remain reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.