Diamond Eye Downpipe-Back Installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diamond Eye Downpipe-Back Installation

I'm looking over the instructions ( Installation Instructions K4357A 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L F250/F350 4" Downpipe Back Race Application ) prior to installing the exhaust at some point and I had a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone had success at removing the stock exhaust without cutting or lifting the rear in Removal Step 4?

2. Did anyone have to cut the intermediate pipe in Installation Step 5?

3. In Installation Step 6, is the weld-on hanger already present or does it have to be added?

Thanks for the info, and any other tips are always appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
I'm looking over the instructions ( Installation Instructions K4357A 2008-2010 Ford 6.4L F250/F350 4" Downpipe Back Race Application ) prior to installing the exhaust at some point and I had a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone had success at removing the stock exhaust without cutting or lifting the rear in Removal Step 4?

2. Did anyone have to cut the intermediate pipe in Installation Step 5?

3. In Installation Step 6, is the weld-on hanger already present or does it have to be added?

Thanks for the info, and any other tips are always appreciated!
Ha, I installed this exact same exhaust yesterday. It was a little tougher than I thought it would be, but wasnt too bad. So to answer your questions...

1) I didnt cut a single bit of my stock exhaust. I unbolted every bit of it to remove it. I did have to remove the lower shock bolt and push the shock up as well as jack the truck up by the drop hitch. I had to remove that last section going forward, it would not come out the back side.....

2) I had to cut the second and third pipe. I ended up knocking off like five inches on the second pipe and like 2 or so inches on the third section. Everything ended up fitting pretty good....Lets just say I was pleased with my work and it looked good.

3) In the picture on top of the install manual, it shows each section and the hangers. This is exactly how it was shipped to me, my parts looked no different than the manual. And all sections fit into the factory hangers.

When removing the stock exhaust, I found it easier to unbolt all the hangers from the frame and then pull the rubbers off on the ground. I used a large pair of channel locks and opened them up all the way to press the rubbers off. I asked my wife what she thought of the exhaust install I did, her answer "Looks like you did a good job except for leaving all the stickers on the pipe" always a critic. I got that big grin everyone talks about when I fired her up for the first time.....
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! What did you use to cut the pipe(s) and I assume you cut both pipes because you needed the 7 inches? [Insert crude joke here]

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick and detailed reply! What did you use to cut the pipe(s) and I assume you cut both pipes because you needed the 7 inches? [Insert crude joke here]

Thanks again!
HAHAH My wife always told me it is never about the size.....But anyways back to business, I marked the pipe with a sharpie under the truck. I then pulled the pipe out and drilled a pilot hole, then went to town with a jig saw and metal blade. It sliced through that pipe like butter, I would say both pipes were marked and cut in 10 minutes, what took so long was climbing under the truck and climbing out 4 different times. I am not sure if only one pipe needed to be cut rather than two, but I had to cut the second pipe because the third did line up at the hangers. All I know is it fits and looks like it came from the factory with this exhaust. A very good investment, in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM

Sweet. I went with the stainless so maybe it will be a little tougher to cut but I'll find out eventually. My Mini Maxx will be here Monday but the exhaust had to come from Diamond Eye so it will take a bit longer. Thanks for the answers... again!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 PM

No problem at all....I am just trying to make others lives easier by providing the easiest ways I did stuff, and the different things I may have done that didnt quite work out....On the down pipe connection, others may chime in but I removed the backside bolt using a 3/8" ratchet with a 3/8" to 1/2" connector then a 4" extender and then the 13mm(I think) deep wall socket.... You will soon find out about all this when doing the removal/install process....
Old 03-11-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoojr View Post
No problem at all....I am just trying to make others lives easier by providing the easiest ways I did stuff, and the different things I may have done that didnt quite work out....On the down pipe connection, others may chime in but I removed the backside bolt using a 3/8" ratchet with a 3/8" to 1/2" connector then a 4" extender and then the 13mm(I think) deep wall socket.... You will soon find out about all this when doing the removal/install process....
And this I have no doubt...!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Howd the install go? Here is a picture from the back looking forward of the exhaust....

Old 03-11-2012, 03:00 PM

I don't have the exhaust yet... Just ordered from PTP on Thursday and the exhaust had to be shipped from Diamond Eye... The tuner and stuff should be here tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM

My bad on thinking you were doing it today....So when doing the removal of the stock pipe at the downpipe, you will need the extension and and ratchet and slip inside the frame to get the backside bolt.

When reinstalling though, to bolt everything back up, use the ratchet on the nut side with like a 7" extension so the ratchet fits between the tranny cross member and skid plate. I was able to slip an open end wrench up on the bolt head side to keep from spinning when tightening down the nut.

O and by the way, I was way off with the amount of pipe I cut off. The second section pipe got 13 inches cut off and the third section got 4 inches cut off. Maybe it was vice versa but those are the measurements that were cut off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.