Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Gutted my DPF/DOC Last Night

39K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  powerstrokeshellback 
#1 ·
A buddy and me gutted my spare DPF/DOC last night. After reading a bunch on here and other forums we used a rotohammer with an 18" bit and had both hollowed out within an hour.

One tip for anyone thinking about gutting a DPF, the rotohammer is the perfect tool, start by putting a hole all the way through the media (may have to go at it from both ends). Once you get a hole puched all the way through start breaking it out around the hole working from the center of the media outwards toward the case. The media will start to just chunk apart and fall through the open hole.

Just waiting for my tuner to show up with the mail man and we'll be ready to throw it all in

#2 ·
no pics?????? haha, if you got them i would like to see them, i may end up doing this if i get in trouble for my straight pipe

#4 ·
I used an air hammer and an 18" nut splitter (longest air hammer bit I could find, about $25), DOC took about 90 secounds and the DPF took maby 10 minutes. I know it looks like ceramic, but I used a mask, I dont even want to think about what could be in it. And yes punch a hole through the middle then work your way out.

#5 ·
My buddy has the pics on his iPhone. I'll get them tomorrow and throw them up. Looks like the mini maxx will be showing up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#7 ·
If you don't have access to bits that size. Just use a hammer drill with some concrete bits and a steel conduit. Drill all around the perimeter, then drill a bunch of holes through the center. Then use the conduit to punch bigger holes through the center until it starts to fall apart.

A mask is highly recommended.

#19 ·
True, and I've heard that before as well. But I'm old school and have always believed the smoother the exhaust flow, the better it will perform. Since the tubing can be had pretty cheap, I figure why not. Definitely can't be worse. :)

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.

#21 ·
Well I've been running the hollowed out DPF/DOC for almost a week with the mini maxx. Its just awesome. The truck can finally breath. The power is so smooth, it feels like it runs so much better instead of choking. I'm really happy with the sound too.

Exhaust looks 100% stock if you look underneath the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#22 ·
I am still thinking about doing this but I also like the idea of a new exhaust.

#24 ·
Nothing wrong with new exhaust from DPF back, then stealth going forward. Any full exhaust kit you buy would be similar with the exception of a straight pipe for the DPF, mandreled pipe for the CAT and using factory downpipe or new 2 piece downpipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.