Gutted my DPF/DOC Last Night - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak
Gutted my DPF/DOC Last Night

A buddy and me gutted my spare DPF/DOC last night. After reading a bunch on here and other forums we used a rotohammer with an 18" bit and had both hollowed out within an hour.

One tip for anyone thinking about gutting a DPF, the rotohammer is the perfect tool, start by putting a hole all the way through the media (may have to go at it from both ends). Once you get a hole puched all the way through start breaking it out around the hole working from the center of the media outwards toward the case. The media will start to just chunk apart and fall through the open hole.

Just waiting for my tuner to show up with the mail man and we'll be ready to throw it all in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
no pics?????? haha, if you got them i would like to see them, i may end up doing this if i get in trouble for my straight pipe
Old 03-11-2012, 06:19 AM

I just used a drill , hammer ,and chisel/ long screwdriver. But then I cut both ends off with a grinder and welded the shells onto my delete pipe. So now I have what appears to be a 4 inch factory DOC/DPF.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:42 PM

I used an air hammer and an 18" nut splitter (longest air hammer bit I could find, about $25), DOC took about 90 secounds and the DPF took maby 10 minutes. I know it looks like ceramic, but I used a mask, I dont even want to think about what could be in it. And yes punch a hole through the middle then work your way out.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSDfreak
My buddy has the pics on his iPhone. I'll get them tomorrow and throw them up. Looks like the mini maxx will be showing up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 PM

did mine w/ a hammer and a fence post. had NO IDEA the DPF was that hard. got through the cat in a minute or two. DPF took a smidge longer (like a LOT longer)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM

If you don't have access to bits that size. Just use a hammer drill with some concrete bits and a steel conduit. Drill all around the perimeter, then drill a bunch of holes through the center. Then use the conduit to punch bigger holes through the center until it starts to fall apart.

A mask is highly recommended.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
I just used a drill , hammer ,and chisel/ long screwdriver. But then I cut both ends off with a grinder and welded the shells onto my delete pipe. So now I have what appears to be a 4 inch factory DOC/DPF.
Anypics of this??? I am thinking about doing this.. Was it a pain in the A**?? And does it look liked its untouched
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoastfreestyle View Post
Anypics of this??? I am thinking about doing this.. Was it a pain in the A**?? And does it look liked its untouched
No.
No.
Yes.

EDIT: The above answers are if all you did was hollow it out, not cut it apart and weld it back together onto a straight pipe.

Last edited by smotrs; 03-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoastfreestyle View Post
I didn't take any pics (probably should take in-progress pics of my projects, but I never do). Hell, I don't even how how to upload a pic if I had one (hence no avatar). But to answer your questions, YES is was a Pain, and NO is doesn't looked "untocuched". It looks really good and no-one execept a person who knows exactly what a 6.4L DOC/DPF should look like will ever be able to tell the difference. But its a 4 inch pipe now, the welds are are machine made, the counter weight (or whatever that heavy can of nothing is) isn't there. The factory heat shields are still there and untouched. Looks really good and would fool me unless I laid down under the truck and really analized the minor details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.