Airbox Mod - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airbox Mod

So while waiting for the paint to dry on the swing I made my wife, I decided to do my airbox mod for the aFe OEM replacement filter. I figured this would be a good addition for fresh air to flow into the box. Heres the swing first if anybody was interested....

So I will start off with the tools needed to complete the easy mod.

1)Mesh cheap trashcan from Lowes.
2)Cardboard used to wrap over airbox lid to draw a straight line for lining up holes.
3)Razor blade for smoothing out the hole after cutting
4)Jig Saw for cutting up the mesh trash can
5) 1 3/8" forstner bit for punching the holes
6) Drill

Picture of the mesh can after cutting a square out.

I then used the cardboard to draw straight lines across the airbox lid. After that I started punching holes in the lid. After the holes were cut out, I smoothed the edges with the razor blade. I then lined up the mesh square over the holes and marked the airbox lid for where I needed to drill holes. Yes I know the bolts dont line up in a straight line.....

I then bolted the mesh to the lid with small bolts. This cinched the mesh up tight to the lid.

After it was bolted up, I put it back the truck and made sure the bolts didnt poke into the filter. No bolts touched the filter and it fit great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM

Interesting, why not just a CAI? Also see that tube running across the top of the engine bay and feeds into the airbox in the 2nd pic, Take it off, it just feeds hot air to the filter. Just pops right off.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44magnum View Post
Interesting, why not just a CAI? Also see that tube running across the top of the engine bay and feeds into the airbox in the 2nd pic, Take it off, it just feeds hot air to the filter. Just pops right off.
Well, to answer your question honestly....It was far cheaper to put on an aFe oem replacement filter($70) then to go all out and buy a full kit($250-300 or more). I doubt there is that much difference in using my stock box and aFe filter then a true aFe CAI. My thought is it will be far superior to the stock filter. Your thoughts???

And to the second part of your post. I had no idea what that was for. I will remove it sometime this week. It has no use at all right?!?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
Your wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out what you did with her garbage pal.. Looks pretty good though and dont worry we wont tell her
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenjr View Post
Your wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out what you did with her garbage pal.. Looks pretty good though and dont worry we wont tell her
Ha I purposely bought the mesh trash can from Lowes for this mod. It only cost $7 bucks so I didnt really tell her I bought it and chopped it up. But she could go out in the garage and see it, big square hole and all. Think Lowes will take it back???
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoojr View Post
Ha I purposely bought the mesh trash can from Lowes for this mod. It only cost $7 bucks so I didnt really tell her I bought it and chopped it up. But she could go out in the garage and see it, big square hole and all. Think Lowes will take it back???
Try it and tell them when you got home it was missing a big section
Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM

They might fall for it....That mesh was sharp after cutting it, maybe I will cut myself and blame Lowes for the accident
Old 03-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoojr View Post
They might fall for it....That mesh was sharp after cutting it, maybe I will cut myself and blame Lowes for the accident
Hell sounds like a customer burning them selves @ McDonalds on a hot cup of coffee and then sueing
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddenjr View Post
Hell sounds like a customer burning them selves @ McDonalds on a hot cup of coffee and then sueing
EXACTLY!!!! Everyone wants to get a free handout even at the expense of hurting themselves.....Sounds like a sure fire way to get ahead in life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.