NO IDEA - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down NO IDEA

Ok, I'm a newb here... Have an '08 250 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab 6.4, which is my fifth powerstroke so far. I bought it brand new, and have left it BONE stock which is completely out of character for me considering all of my other trucks were modified and customized stem to stern.

I'm absolutely sick and tired of the awful fuel mileage. My 01 7.3 got about 22mpg when dyno tested at 890 ft lbs at the rear wheels running 44's...so the fact that the BEST I've EVER gotten out of my 6.4 was about 18 on an all-interstate trip is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS. General around town I get 15 MAX.

I'm quite privey to performance logic and mechanics, and have done all of the work to my trucks myself in the past.....but I'm not too sure about all this DPF delete pipe and programming, etc... Plus I've been sort of out of the performance loop for a few years. One thing that drives me crazy is how slowly the trans will shift into higher gear to get rpm's down...hell, i've learned to make the dang thing shift with the pedal....ridiculous!

I could ramble on, but to cut to the chase, I need to improve fuel mileage NOW. Can ya'll tell me what specific parts and parts combinations have been proven to work well on the 6.4's?

SCT? AFE? AirRaid? H&S? DPtuner?

Exhaust systems? Intakes? Programmers/tuners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

One more thing- just got done replacing the lower radiator hoses...boy that was trying on the patience, but it's done. I had read a thread not too long ago before I signed up on here about coolant filter systems...talking about sand in the coolant from the casting of the block... I think I'm ordering this ASAP- after the drained old coolant mixture all settled there was A GOOD BIT of sand and even tiny little 'pebble' looking particles in the bottom of the drain pan. Unbelievable.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Call Aaron@ Rudy's diesel performance. They will hook you up for everything you need.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Don't you worry about it

you get 15 around town!!! I got 9-10 around town undeleted and 10-11 around town deleted. The best mileage I have ever gotten since I've owned the truck was after I deleted must have been all downhill 100% highway gas station to gas station and it was 20.6
Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep...that's GRANPAW-IN' it bigtime tho... And I have to drive that way consistently for it to be anywhere near that. Otherwise it's in the 11-12 range.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Don't you worry about it

Welcome to the 6.4 I hate to say it but you really only have 2 options... sell it or get used to it.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Yeah I'd be pretty happy if I were you because your truck must have been blessed by the Gods to get that kind of mileage bone stock. I'm tuned and deleted and only get 12 around town and thats driving it like your Grandpa's grandma!!

Don't think I've ever gotten above 14-15 on the interstate but I've never run a full tank on just the interstate so I'm not sure. Either way tho I've long learned to just suck it up and I love the truck regardless of its MPG's!!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I went with mods listed below an being nice with the little peddle i get 20 mpg consistantly on the hwy with little to no grades.Around town is 15 -16 best with my wife driving and 13- 14 with me.Weird how these trucks can be so different, my buddy has a long bed that we bought within 3 weeks of each other and he is getting close to your numbers ( op ) bone stock. I was never near that
Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM

you had an 890hp 7.3 that got 22mpg and you got rid of it?

LOL
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
you had an 890hp 7.3 that got 22mpg and you got rid of it?

LOL
Agreed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.