Putting stock cat back on! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Putting stock cat back on!

Hello all, well being as I can not get any highflow cats that I want shipped to California I want to put my stock cat back on. The reasons- My previous car was catless for 5 years and I told myself I was not going to do that with my new vehicle but it seems as though I bought one of the only vehilces that needs the stock emissions equipment removed to be reliable I am also over the smell and black smoke and the worrying of getting pulled over for my exhaust (Cali guys).. My question is are there any of you running the stock cat with the dpf removed? Will putting the stock cat back on give me problems? And my most importnat question is which company can I order from that still sells the delete pipe that bolts up to the stock cat? If I do buy this I will have the diamond eye cat/dpf delete for sale for a great price Thanks for the feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM

:Should not cause a problem to run with the cat, i have several friends with duramaxes doing the same. Sounds like you need to get out of Cali, and come to Texas
Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Yes, come here
You could always gut the cat and put it back on

My Samsung SGH-I997 made me send this.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM

You're worried about getting pulled over without the CAT .... but not the DPF?! Seems that if you're going to risk having the DPF off you might as well leave all that garbage off as having the CAT isn't going to make the inspector any more friendly. Keep your foot out of it and you shoudn't have any smoke issues!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:58 PM

the cat will cut the turbo noise and will keep the exhaust smelling "legal"

gut the DPF or buy another one to gut. If you want to go super stealth, just bore a 3.5" hole through the DPF. Need a spare?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many of you 6.4 owners have been pulled over because of your aftermarket exhaust? And was it because of sound, smoke or because the cop saw an aftermarket exhaust tip?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
the cat will cut the turbo noise and will keep the exhaust smelling "legal"

I understand that, I guess I just don't get the logic in putting that hunk of metal back on there with its effects on the flow of exhaust. No one on these forums has ever heard of anyone getting fined for these mods so I just don't understand the concern. Your everyday cop isn't going to know the difference in smell / sound and if he does than it's because he most likely has a deleted truck as well.

Now actual inspections are a whole different story, and thank the Good Lord we don't have them here in IL!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thero View Post
I understand that, I guess I just don't get the logic in putting that hunk of metal back on there with its effects on the flow of exhaust. No one on these forums has ever heard of anyone getting fined for these mods so I just don't understand the concern. Your everyday cop isn't going to know the difference in smell / sound and if he does than it's because he most likely has a deleted truck as well.

Now actual inspections are a whole different story, and thank the Good Lord we don't have them here in IL!!!
It is not just the fines, its the smell and smoke. It doesn't smoke if I drive it like a grandpa tho I remember a few days ago I had a buddy in the truck and wanted to show him the power. I went WOT shortly after a stoplight, looked behind me and smoked out all the cars behind me! It was sort of cool but sort of not I am just putting it on for peace of mind, no way in hell I am putting that DPF back on tho, I would rather sell the truck than do that!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM

The DPF will cut the smoke. Not the DOC.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The DPF will cut the smoke. Not the DOC.
Smoke is particulates, so putting the cat back on and leaving a higher tune will still smoke. The cat is for invisible NOx. Just run a lower HP tune or stock with just DPF off. Sucks that you are in this boat though .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.