educate me on this please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
educate me on this please

I've been doing A LOT of searching on a egr delete for my 08 F250. Once a few bills get taken care of I'm ordering a H&S tuner and doing a DPF delete. Looking at getting the flo pro kit. With that do you need to remove the cooler or other parts, how hard is it to do, any issues just blocking off? Leaving the truck in stock HP tune and just looking to get long life out of the truck. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what i have read,the coolers need to be removed to benefit the most. I am fixing to purchase a flo pro delete with the elbow. Looking at a 4-6 hr job. The mini maxx isbad ***, i have had mine on a few days.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:50 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Same here, only had the mini maxx on for a day. Haha
Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 AM

That's what I didn't understand I guess because I thought the plates blocked the cooler from circulating. Or are the plates for once the cooler and ECR are removed then go in place? Sorry for the dumb questions but never been down this road.

Also the flo pro kit I'm looking at comes with a elbo. Is that needed/what is purpose of the elbow?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:55 AM

With your basic kits having 2 block off plates, it is to only block off the exhaust with a thin piece of material and leaving the cooler.

With the egr delete, you remove both coolers and block off exhaust and coolant passages and remove the whole egr valve itself with some kits. Getting rid of the coolant circulation is what helps prevent engine problems when the cooler goes bad.

Some kits have a pipe where the egr valve was to connect to intercooler. Some kits just have the block off plates.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Have not looked into this myself but would putting block off plates on and re routing coolant lines while keeping the coolers on the truck be a good way to maintain the fully emissions friendly look while not having any possibility of a cooler failure?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't recomend pulling the coolers and still running the stock program. It should throw codes for EGR delta flow. and possibly cause a derate.

I'm running a Spartan programmer with the coolers still on and haven't had any egr problems as of yet. Spartan has released a good product and has HP programs from stock up to 350 HP with the dpf/doc delete.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:47 PM

With a tune of course
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM

The flo pro kit looks like it comes with every thing to delete the egr and cooler-block off plate for exhaust, coolant block of plugs, and polished intake elbow.
Is the sinister one any better?

Anything special to know have to worry about?

Is it worth doing before the warranty expires or would it be better to just leave the egr turned off by the tuner until the warranty expires? Granted that is another 65k for me.
Is the cooler still a issue even with the egr turned off?

I saw the bullet proof intercoolers and considered that if it would be a better option???
Sorry for all of the questions I just want to do what will be best for long term and cause the least issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi6488 View Post
With your basic kits having 2 block off plates, it is to only block off the exhaust with a thin piece of material and leaving the cooler.

With the egr delete, you remove both coolers and block off exhaust and coolant passages and remove the whole egr valve itself with some kits. Getting rid of the coolant circulation is what helps prevent engine problems when the cooler goes bad.

Some kits have a pipe where the egr valve was to connect to intercooler. Some kits just have the block off plates.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 PM

I was like you and asked many questions and talked with several diesel shops. My service manager and one of the mechanics where I bought my truck convinced me to do the complete delete (dpf, cat, egr). I could not be happier with my decision and now I don't worry about the what ifs. I'm glad i have a mod friendly service dept. to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.