AFE OER filters - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AFE OER filters

So I want to get some thoughts on this. I plan on tuning my truck to remove the DPF/Cat sometime with in the next year. I know that you need a cold air intake for the best results or you will throw codes and wont have enough air to keep up with the advanced fueling....That being said, why cant you get one of the pro guard 7 OE replacement filters(See below for my situation). Here is the link.

Cold Air Intake

It is far cheaper than buying a complete intake. At $80 for just the filter I think it would work great for the guy/girl that is getting tuned to delete the dpf and cat for more reliability, maybe not so much for the guy/girl wanting a "race" truck(aggressive high HP tunes/hard driving). The full aFe kits say they flow 26% over stock, this OER filter just says it flows more than stock. I would assume that adding the filter to the stock box and tube would still be plenty good to not trip the sensor when sucking in air.

Id love to hear what yall think on this. The stage 2 pro guard 7 complete kit is $376 on the aFe site, so a hell of a lot of money can be saved by going with the pro guard 7 $85 OE filter replacement. That, almost $300 savings, will help me out with paying for the H&S mini in the future.......

Just so you know, I am not wanting a "Race" truck, and I wont be doing much if any towing. I dont know if I have goosed her more than 3/4 throttle since I bought the truck back in May. So she wont be consuming much air as compared to heavy foot driving. Wont be raced or anything else. This thread and questioning and thoughts are directed at vehicles/driving styles like mine that are I guess "babied". I dont want anyone to take me the wrong way when I said its babied. I have no issues with how others drive and use their trucks, just curious what you think.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Is that filter reusable? If you cant clean and reuse it how many miles does it last for apx?

My reason for going with S&B was its was less then 300 when i went threw PTP since im a site supporter, and the from what i understand the filter is a long life filter. I dont think i can clean and reuse mine id have to check.

The other reason i went with S&B is because it has the side of the box open to allow even more breathing threw the filter element, larger intake tube to the Turbo for increased flow as well.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

I run that filter on my truck with a modified stock airbox lid at the moment. Egts can get a little high if I stand on it hard. Other than that if im just driving normal its fine. No problems here. So yeah I would say your fine. Do it!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
Is that filter reusable? If you cant clean and reuse it how many miles does it last for apx?

My reason for going with S&B was its was less then 300 when i went threw PTP since im a site supporter, and the from what i understand the filter is a long life filter. I dont think i can clean and reuse mine id have to check.

The other reason i went with S&B is because it has the side of the box open to allow even more breathing threw the filter element, larger intake tube to the Turbo for increased flow as well.
Yes it is reusable. It has a kit for cleaning and re-oiling the filter for reuse.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin07 View Post
I run that filter on my truck with a modified stock airbox lid at the moment. Egts can get a little high if I stand on it hard. Other than that if im just driving normal its fine. No problems here. So yeah I would say your fine. Do it!
Do you suspect the filter and box are at fault for the high EGTs or can that be attributed to something else?!?! And I am interested in your "Modified stock airbox lid", would you be able to snap a picture or two so I can get an idea of what it looks like?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

Im like 80% sure the high egts are due to lack of oxygen. Although it has never moved the filter minder. But it may be my tune. When that filter get too dirty instead of cleaning it im getting an intake I only bought it for a quick fix and im a cheap a** and hate making big purchases. Pm me your cell# and I will send pics when I get to work manana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.