Got er did - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got er did

I wanted to throw this up, those with Diesels can appriciate it. Those without thinking of getting one might like the info LOL.

Got my 08 Ford F350 6.4L Twin Turbo start of Jan.

Going into the purchase i knew the stong and weak points of this truck and engine combo.
Its the Last International made engine and personaly im a fan of the International.

Weak points
cooling system leaks from the radiator. Mine had this all fixed under warrenty
DPF System < diesel particulate system > present as its EPA required
EGR valve present as its EPA required
Fuel milage 11 in town and 15 mixed and 17 hwy

Strong points
350 hp and 650ft torque...Betty 430 HP and 730 torque Modified
Twin Turbo setup....Betty Single Turbo
new oil type of oil cooler < much better then the 6.0>
Larger and better placed head bolts. < much better then 6.0
All new truck design

So after leaving Black Betty and mind you the dealer sold her with in 2 weeks. I had no real regrets except over all milage and stock this was less the Betty since she was modified. After driving 2 weeks to work and back and only getting 450 miles from the tank and averaging 14.5 mpg i was pretty disapointed in the rig. Also when you mash the skinny peddle it had a bit more turbo lag then Betty, but once she kicked in you could feel some good solid power. You could also literally watch the fuel gauge go down every day you drove it. At 50 miles if comes off full, it hits 3/4 at 100 miles and so one. This fuel gauge is dead on all the time lol.

So im my never leave anything stock mantra i upgraded things LOL.

I did the standard upgrades for the 08
S&H Mini Max tuner
S&B cold air intake
Diamond Eye 5inch exhaust
MBRP 6inch chrome tip

WOW is all i can say, and im sure glad my truck has traction control. This truck is a straight up beast. with up to 310 RWHP on the tuner i can lay down 570 hp to the ground, with the S&B intake its been dynoed at 590. Torque is now apx 1100 at the rear wheels. No i didnt get my dynoed LOL. These are the standard proven numbers for this set up, plenty of the companies selling these products list these numbers, and tons of owners on the Powerstroke.org have dynoed the trucks with these numbers as results.

Driving the truck last night was scary at times, a rush at times, and just pur fun all the time. Scary part is when you step into this thing, it starts with a growl from the engine, as it sucks in all that air threw the new opened CAI, then it puts you into the seat and the power rolls in, the traction control light comes on and you can literaly feel the power at the back of the truck. Its inteanse, I havent even when WOT yet, thats the scard part LOL. Im only running the 275 tune till i get used to it lol.

Milage last night was 18 mpg mixed city and hwy. I expect it to go up more as i get the trans tune installed because it didnt want to shift to 5th till 55mph where before it would shift at 50 so the revs stay right at 2K at 50 and thats drinking some fuel.

All i can say is if you get one of these trucks, the proven combo of S&B, MINI Max, and 5inch exhaust will not let you down lol.

Heres some pics.
S&B CAI

5inch Diamond Eye Exhaust

Mini Max with Dash pod, I stole this off Google as i want to paint my pod to match first so its sitting on the floor LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

MBRP 5inch in 6inch out

The junk

Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another satisfied 6.4 owner.
Looks good!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Looks great man, congrats!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
MBRP 5inch in 6inch out
Do you have any pics from further back off of the truck so I can see the exhaust exit better? Di you get downpipe back or turbo back?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
Looks great man, congrats!
Thanks you guys were great with all my questions and concerns,

Erick is top notch with his customer service skills, hes real prompt on returning emails and was easy to talk to when i called to place my order. Very happy with PTP i will be spending more money on traction bars after the summer is over and my truck budget recovers lol.

3Brorce this is a down pipe back kit, the stock downpipe is still in the truck. I elected to not replace it because its a pretty big pipe, it measures almost 4inches and has a big dent or bend init to clear the frame of the truck. I dodnt want to deal with trying to get a down pipe threw there and on the turbo. I installed a downpipe on my 06 6.0 and it was a serious pain doing it alone and i had more room in that truck to work. This exhaust bolts right up to where the downpipe ends, it has the standard exhaust flare fitting. 2 bolts and let me say the upper bolt you have to have a universal joint type socket or adaptor as i the factory welded the the downside pipe bracket in place. You can tell it was installed before the cab was lol.

Once I bolted the first pipe on it was a 4inch and then opens to a 5inch and its 5inch the rest of the way out.

If you do this yourself the biggest headach other then bolting to the downpipe will be removing all the rubber hangers to remove the exhaust. I found WD40, and a 3ft prybar work well to get leverage to pop them off. Also once you get to he tail section i couldnt get the clamps to come off that hold the pipes together so i cut it. I cut in a section thats easy to repalce if the exhaust ever returns on the truck. Then i had to jack the rear of the truck up under the hitch to make enough room to turn the tail pipes and slide it over the rear axle out of the truck.

As for the last peace it comes out exactly where my tip is and extends about 2inchs past my body panel, i cut it shorter to allow the tip to be flush but made the mistake of not having it pully in place when i measures and ended up being 2 inches short myself LOL.

I do plan on haveing a muffler shop bend that last tube to exit out behind the tire as i think it will look better and that peace is only about 2 feet anyhow.

This is the only other pictures i have at this time. I can take another if you like Wed and repost it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Thanks. I have the Diamond Eye turbo back I ordered from PTP. Still havent installed it. Good luck finding a muffler shape with a 5 inch pipe bender. I was going to do the same thing and leave my tip in under the truck. I would probably cut it back as far as I can and put a 15 inch long tip on there. I was thinking I might go with a 5-7 in tip. Hopefully I do not have to put that big of a dent in the DP to make it fit
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Yes the dent in my downpipe is about the sixe of a tennis ball, and maybe 1/2 deep but it looks like it was machined into the pipe not a lets make it fit with a hammer LOL.

Yea i hope i can find a shop that can do it, if not then no big deal ill live with the exit it has, i just dont like it there being a single exhaust, my F150 i had them there as duels, but as a single it makes me think about how Chevy stock pipe exits.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 PM

Have to cut it way back and buy a 5 inch elbow at the degree of bend you would want and weld it onto the tail section. then reweld your tip on. that would work
Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3brorce View Post
Have to cut it way back and buy a 5 inch elbow at the degree of bend you would want and weld it onto the tail section. then reweld your tip on. that would work
Thats what I did with my tail section. When I took the tip into a muffler shop to have it welded on I had them weld on a 45 degree section so that the tip would exit where I wanted it to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.