Wastegate Reality - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate Reality

Have a 911 call for opines on Wastegated EGR delete kits. Blew my headgasket on an 08 F350 6.4L PSD DRW 4x4 w/ Banks RAM, Sinister EGR delete, Bully Dog propane inject, Spartan (tier 3 tunes), BD Intercooler with CS pipe, 5" Grand Rock dual stacks with Magnaflow Muffler, 6" OUO lift with bilsteins. Will put in ARP headstuds w/stock headgasket. What is the best wastegated EGR delete with smoothest flow for performance. I DON'T want to blow another headgasket. Need answer soonest because I need to pull the trigger on an order. ThankX in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The Elite kit is just awesome quality stuff, the wastegate is from Prescision Turbo and is prebuilt specifically for the tuned 6.4
Old 02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Putting a wastegate on your truck isn't going to prevent blowing head gaskets. Wastegates help control back pressure. Cylinder pressure on big tunes is still going to by high, even with a wastegate. Doing the studs and new gaskets will prevent future issues.

Why in the world do you have propane on your truck???
Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wink Propane???

Not sure of your questioning why I'd have propane in a diesel truck. Is it that you don't understand how propane mixed with air and diesel fuel elongate the burn, produce another 50-75 horses, actually reduce thermals, and though it aids in MPG tho that is countered by the cost of the propane. As far as giving it a very, measurable boost, it rocks. Or is it you just don't like propane mix and prefer methanol/water or nitrous. Far as it goes, I have it on there because it really works would be my answer. As to the wastegate, I'm looking to reduce the pressure that would be exhausted thru the EGR, if I hadn't deleted it. Thank you for your insight as to my question but maybe it was lost by the terse nature of my request for information. Have a pleasant day
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Started to lose me there at the end with all the big words. And I didn't think propane was that serious of a deal. But damn....

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 02-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsw View Post
Not sure of your questioning why I'd have propane in a diesel truck. Is it that you don't understand how propane mixed with air and diesel fuel elongate the burn, produce another 50-75 horses, actually reduce thermals, and though it aids in MPG tho that is countered by the cost of the propane. As far as giving it a very, measurable boost, it rocks. Or is it you just don't like propane mix and prefer methanol/water or nitrous. Far as it goes, I have it on there because it really works would be my answer. As to the wastegate, I'm looking to reduce the pressure that would be exhausted thru the EGR, if I hadn't deleted it. Thank you for your insight as to my question but maybe it was lost by the terse nature of my request for information. Have a pleasant day
Propane is an excellent modification for someone if they are using it with the sole intention of increased fuel mileage. It can actually do pretty well in that department. I would not, however, be using it to increase horsepower. I have heard too many horror stories. It's not my truck though, it is your truck. Do with it as you wish.

I actually don't prefer any additives for additional horsepower to be honest. I am fuel only horsepower kind of guy. Some guys like to spray nitrous to achieve their goals simply because 6.4's seem to love nitrous. With the poor cylinder head flow and the amazing fuel potential of the 6.4, it is only natural that nitrous can be used successfully.

Most people that are out to make power definitely don't go with water/meth kits. Methanol has actually been proven by one performance shop in the industry to wear on the valve stems. It can be used in moderation (20% mix with 80% water for example) and more than likely not cause issues, but you're not going to see much of horsepower gain using a safe mix like that.

In the 6.4 performance world, nitrous seems to be the most accepted power adder beyond conventional adders like tuners, turbo's, bigger fuel systems, injectors, etc., simply because trucks that make 700 HP on fuel with small compounds and massive amounts of fuel can spray to 1,000 HP +. Hell, Rudy's Diesel Performance had their truck on the dyno a year ago at their dyno event.....made 790 on fuel and just over 1,200 with nitrous. That's over 400 horsepower gains from nitrous.

The point of my "shocked" question was that you don't typically see guys using propane on their 6.4's. I wasn't saying you are wrong for doing it. Just surprised it's being done.

Now back to the wastegate discussion.....

You don't need a wastegate on your truck if the sole purpose is to prevent head gaskets from blowing. It won't help you all that much. If you are looking to decrease the amount of back pressure and boost you are making, it's a good upgrade. Back pressure isn't an issue with stock fuel and stock turbo's though. Since you have propane in the equation, you may been seeing excessive back pressure and boost.....kinda like trucks that spray nitrous. Excessive back pressure can cause valvetrain damage and blow up-pipes. It's rare to see problems like that though. It takes a lot of back pressure to hurt the stock valvetrain and blown up-pipes seems to be hit or miss. I mean they blow on stock trucks....so of course they are going to have a chance of blowing on a 550-600 HP truck.

Man....that was a lot of typing.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Propane is an excellent modification for someone if they are using it with the sole intention of increased fuel mileage. It can actually do pretty well in that department. I would not, however, be using it to increase horsepower. I have heard too many horror stories. It's not my truck though, it is your truck. Do with it as you wish.

I actually don't prefer any additives for additional horsepower to be honest. I am fuel only horsepower kind of guy. Some guys like to spray nitrous to achieve their goals simply because 6.4's seem to love nitrous. With the poor cylinder head flow and the amazing fuel potential of the 6.4, it is only natural that nitrous can be used successfully.

Most people that are out to make power definitely don't go with water/meth kits. Methanol has actually been proven by one performance shop in the industry to wear on the valve stems. It can be used in moderation (20% mix with 80% water for example) and more than likely not cause issues, but you're not going to see much of horsepower gain using a safe mix like that.

In the 6.4 performance world, nitrous seems to be the most accepted power adder beyond conventional adders like tuners, turbo's, bigger fuel systems, injectors, etc., simply because trucks that make 700 HP on fuel with small compounds and massive amounts of fuel can spray to 1,000 HP +. Hell, Rudy's Diesel Performance had their truck on the dyno a year ago at their dyno event.....made 790 on fuel and just over 1,200 with nitrous. That's over 400 horsepower gains from nitrous.

The point of my "shocked" question was that you don't typically see guys using propane on their 6.4's. I wasn't saying you are wrong for doing it. Just surprised it's being done.

Now back to the wastegate discussion.....

You don't need a wastegate on your truck if the sole purpose is to prevent head gaskets from blowing. It won't help you all that much. If you are looking to decrease the amount of back pressure and boost you are making, it's a good upgrade. Back pressure isn't an issue with stock fuel and stock turbo's though. Since you have propane in the equation, you may been seeing excessive back pressure and boost.....kinda like trucks that spray nitrous. Excessive back pressure can cause valvetrain damage and blow up-pipes. It's rare to see problems like that though. It takes a lot of back pressure to hurt the stock valvetrain and blown up-pipes seems to be hit or miss. I mean they blow on stock trucks....so of course they are going to have a chance of blowing on a 550-600 HP truck.

Man....that was a lot of typing.
what is a safe ebp and boost with studs ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

The only trouble with propane is you are introducing a flammable mixture into an engine that is "timed" by the injection of a flammable substance (fuel). Therefore, if anything goes wrong and the propane ignites too soon, it has the same effect as detonation on a gasser. It can get ugly. That's why nitrous is so popular...it's not flammable by itself and just helps burn the available fuel. I don't have any problems if you are aware of what is going on and still want to run it though. Good luck!
-Aaron

Last edited by GreenF350; 02-11-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39 PM

when that thing shoots pieces of that piston out of that expensive motor, The propane might come off.....propane is a good MPG fix but not HP, besides its a 6.4......do you really need more the 1000hp?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 PM

OH and jeff is spartan dodo......If he doesn't have the answer on a 6.4, you won't get the answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.