08 6.4 dpf delete ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
is the dpf delete kit worth the money

08 6.4 hauling 35 foot horse trailer, have good power and get around 10.2 mpg, but would like to increse mpg is a delete kit worth it? have heard yes, no and waste. help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Keep in mind, even with a delete mileage while towing or driving in the city will still suck. Some users have even reported no gains while towing. These trucks get their best mileage gains when driving empty on the freeway.

What truck and gearing do you have? That can also have a difference in what kind of gains you have or don't have.

Allot of users feel that it's best to be as close to stock levels when tuning though there are some users pushing the envelope and running higher tunes, but you have to monitor the gauges allot more closely to make sure something doesn't happen while your hauling your livestock. If your looking for huge power increases as well as mileage, take a look at H&S or Spartan. If your looking to just get rid of the DPF and run in stock or mildly tuned and don't want to spend as much money, take a look at the DPF-R+. All three have been reported to make good mileage increases with the first two also giving you insane power increases as well.

Whether they are ultimately worth it, only you can answer that. Everyone on the boards will say yes, but no two trucks are exactly the same.

Last edited by smotrs; 02-07-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

08 6.4 dpf delete ?

Is it worth the money? and will my mpg increase thats what im looking for
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats pretty much what Ive heard, I went from a 6.0 to the 6.4 last year the power I gained by that was crazy in itself, so Im not real concerned with the power more the MPG, right now Im getting 10.2 towing or just driving, so any gain would be great, Im going with the H&S tuner
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 AM

Yes it is worth the money. The truck can breathe better, you can go a little further on oil change intervals, delete it!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

depening on your dealer ,and if its still under warranty , if you want to take a chance at not getting a warranty repair covered and them not warranty whatever it is because of a modification to the emissions

as far as fuel mileage , there is no gaurantee that youll get more but a chance that you can ,every truck is different , i guess what im saying is that there is no set amount and no gaurantees either way

now im sure there will be somebody that will post on how a dealer cant deny you warranty unless they can prove that the modification caused the issue , but as a dealership tech for 21 years i can say ive seen it done more times than not , if you know the tech at your dealer and they can work around it , go for it

does the truck perform better , yes , does it help with oil change intervals , yes some , possible better mileage ,yes , but i look at things on a broader spectrum, if you delete and the high pressure fuel pump goes , (a 2500.00 average job ), and they deny warranty then you didnt gain anything by the modifications

just do the research and know what you want to do , and all the pros and cons of doing it

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 02-07-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info, I know that it will help the truck breath and run better, I guess my ultimate goal is mpg, when traveling all over WA hauling horses for high school rodeo, every penny helps, so even an increase of 2 mpg would be great! no warranty left on truck picked it up used,
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

well if no warranty left then yes , id do it , and like you say even a 2 mpg increase is a help, good luck
Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

heres another question, what level of programming to run? Ive heard not towing that the better mpg is is a hotter mode, is this true, and then a question when towing were to run the tuner, Im getting the H&S TUNER that I can change while driving
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 AM

The H&S and Spartan guys have seen better increases on the higher tunes. Keep in mind though, when towing, you will want to be closer to stock or the milder tunes. If you run the higher tunes while towing and something goes wrong, it will go wrong in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.