Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Its ALIVE!!!

867 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FordMike2010 
#1 ·
First time posting after reading and rereading posts after posts i finally went back to my roots and got a ford, id stayed away from the 6.0 and my last ford was a 02 7.3 which i traded in on a 06 duramax which i then proceeded to mod heavily, long story short the dmax cost me a boat load of cash and after one year and losing 20,000 on my initial investment i found myself in a 07 dodge standard diesel. The dodge was by far the best investment i made losing me only $2500 in one year but the truck was painful... horrible interior, horrible ride and i hated every minute of driving it! only thing that made me keep it as long as i did was the engine that powered it. It was by no means the duramax for power but then it only had a edge chip in it and nothing else, the duramax was also not the truck i was hoping for as little things seemed to break all the time leaving me frustrated, and big things like the front end drove me to drink. Well last week i finally dropped the cash and got a 2010 f350 6.4 hoping that the ford could once again win my heart, love the ride, love the interior but got frustrated after only a couple of days driving and seeing my fuel economy at 11.2 average and im a grampa for a driver! i did mod my previous trucks but mainly for fuel economy, and was hoping that i could learn to except the poor fuel economy of these epa trucks. Well i got frustrated and broke out the old visa again and got a H&S minimaxx, afe cai, and a afe dp back exhaust... installed the minimaxx a few days ago as i didn't have time to do the exhaust and all at that time, tuner on its own was ok! it seemed to wake the truck up a bit but tonight i finally installed the exhaust. After doing the new tune(prior to exhaust install) with dpf delete i backed her out of the shop and all hell broke loose! light flashing and my heart pounding i shut her down hoping it wasn't anything serious, i tried to restart her but she was dead! tried to call h and s but it was after hours so i proceeded to return the truck to stock tune without starting her so the pcm wouldn't recognize the missing dpf and cause me to tow her in, then reinstalled the tune with dpf delete. Truck started and i breathed a sigh of relief... went for a short drive and then shut her off again, then tried to restart but nothing again.. feeling frustrated i went to change vehicle setting and just re entered the same information i had before and this time she seems to be running fine... starting and stopping no problem. Tomorrow i will call h and s just to get the opinion on what if anything i did wrong and to see if my tuner is faulty? anyways sorry this is so long but i gotta say after running on the highway for the past hour she is UNBELIEVABLE. i ran it in wild and the comparison between dpf on and dpf off is staggering.... i have no idea why i would ever need to run hot or the new hot tune downloads as i feel like im going to break something now :taze: Anyways i just wanted to share my experience and say it is honestly great to be back in a :icon_ford: and i hope this truck is going to be what my 7.3 was

Thanks
cai install hopfully tomorrow

See less See more
#2 ·
What's your opinion on the 6.6 Duramax compared to the 6.4 Powerstroke? Power wise.

#3 ·
It is truly amazing what a couple of thousand dollars will do to these trucks. I have been running the wild tune for about 2 weeks now and I too see no reason to download any of the hot tunes. Be sure to get that cai on asap as the truck needs the extra air when running on the wild and up tunes. I've always got a big :D when I get in the truck now!

#7 · (Edited)
sorry for the late reply but it was a long day at work, as far as my new 6.4 vs the duramax which had ppe, afe intake/exhaust and some other exterior improvements there is no comparison! we tested the dmax at 425 hp at the rear wheels but it just didn't seem to be the same power? maybe the torque out of this 6.4 is much higher im not sure. i didn't have the throttle response either which i now have, its almost hard to hold the 6.4 back from running away... its early days and i hope this 6.4 holds up but the quality of the truck both interior and exterior seem to not be in the same league. The dmax seemed to have the air of japanese built rice burners about it, i really didn't like the sound coming from the exhaust where as the powerstroke seems to whistle its way thru the gears. :icon_ford:

Oh and the cai is installed and boy does that sound good in the truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.