Mini Maxx/Trans Tune S1M/Torque Lock (5th) 56-57MPH/Normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mini Maxx/Trans Tune S1M/Torque Lock (5th) 56-57MPH/Normal?

I have been running the standard tunes (currently running Wild) and the standard tranny tune (S1M) for about 2 weeks. 5th gear TL seems to happen between 56-57mph. Since I live in the county most of my driving is on roads with speed limits of 40-50mph so I am running in 4th TL at around 1800rpms most of the time. Would a different tranny tune allow for shifting into 5th TL at around 50 be better? If so what tune would I need? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 12:23 PM

I run the mild tune and I am around 52-53 for 5th gear.

I will check back when more people with more experience chime in
Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Do you tow alot or heavy?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 PM

56mph on S1M sounds about right. I ran it briefly, but the rpms are way too high. S1L shifts into 4TC around 34mph and 5TC at 51-52mph.

My biggest complaint is these shift points are fixed regardless of load. So if I'm on it, it bogs going into 4TC and 5TC and starts smoking. Unfortunately, cruising 4TC if I'm in a 45-50mph zone means high rpms

Factory stock shift points are at 34mph for 4TC and about 45mph for 5TC on light <15% throttle, but they move upwards with load, just like how one would drive a stick. At 25% throttle, 4TC shifts around 40mph and 5TC doesn't shift until 50+mph.

Last edited by unbahlievable; 02-02-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50 PM

ditch the S1 schedules and try S2M

TRUST ME
Old 02-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Tried that, but S2 doesn't work well for my hills. S2L shifts into 5TC around 51mph if I remember right. Problem is, if I'm climbing a grade at 45-50mph, it's in 5th with rpms screaming and it's hard to accelerate

With S1L, I'm comfortably accelerating up the hill in 4TC

This is where a shift point that moves up with load is needed badly.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM

I don't tow anything except during the summer months. Then I tow a 33' travel trailer that weighs in around 8700 lbs. I have a canopy on the truck and the bed is usually loaded with firewood and all the other stuff you would take on a normal camping trip (you would be amazed at what the wife and kids bring). I probably have 300-400 lbs of stuff in the bed. I also have a quite a few hills (I live in Western Washington State) and mountain passes I pull. I'm just not sure what transmission tune to run.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Try s1h or 2ha. Its hard to say because evyone is different
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbahlievable View Post
Tried that, but S2 doesn't work well for my hills. S2L shifts into 5TC around 51mph if I remember right. Problem is, if I'm climbing a grade at 45-50mph, it's in 5th with rpms screaming and it's hard to accelerate

With S1L, I'm comfortably accelerating up the hill in 4TC

This is where a shift point that moves up with load is needed badly.
bringing this back up... I'm up in Colorado. Truck weighs about 10,000lbs.

S2M was lugging bad and smoking a ton heading up a pass, and I run stock low boost fueling!!!

So I tried S2H. Running that in tow-haul mode really helps keep EGT down, but we went over Slumgullion pass today and trans temp got up to 210!!!

I may try S1H, but at this point I'm honestly thinking about deprogramming the mini maxx and just loading my old school XRT as I'm running stock power up here at 9,000+ft altitude, so I don't need all the big power, and the XRT uses factory transmission tuning
Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
bringing this back up... I'm up in Colorado. Truck weighs about 10,000lbs.

S2M was lugging bad and smoking a ton heading up a pass, and I run stock low boost fueling!!!

So I tried S2H. Running that in tow-haul mode really helps keep EGT down, but we went over Slumgullion pass today and trans temp got up to 210!!!

I may try S1H, but at this point I'm honestly thinking about deprogramming the mini maxx and just loading my old school XRT as I'm running stock power up here at 9,000+ft altitude, so I don't need all the big power, and the XRT uses factory transmission tuning
I tried the S2 transmission tunes to pull my trailer also and found that the tranny heated up really fast even though I dwasn't in any hills. I then went to the S1 and have not had the problem since. I tried S1L but found it lugged a little so I went to S1M and have been using that ever since and it has worked well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.