Improve Fuel Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Improve Fuel Mileage

50000 mi left on warranty, fuel mileage without voiding bumper to bumper? tall order? added power would be nice but it isn't nessacary to rip the tonque off my 30ft trailor. any ideas appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
The only way your gonna really gain fuel milage is gonna be dpf delete and some good tunes bud
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM

Anyone who says they got decent mpg with the Dpf on is lying. End of story delete the Dpf and enjoy the benefit! !!! Had a guy recomend bully dog to me.... what a rip. I tried the edge Evolution CS and got bout 1mpg. I gave up and got the h&s and gained nearly 6 . If you want to try the edge ill sell it cheap. But if I were you id delete that crap.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I ran my spartan dpf on tunes for 5 days while I waited for the delete pipe to show up, and I was not impressed. I actually lost MPG's because my dpf was clogging faster. This was a little over 2 years ago, so maybe the dpf on tunes are better now but I doubt it. The ONLY way to see MPG improve is dropping the DPF. If you just do a delete pipe it is really easy to take on and off if you do need to go into the dealership for work. Delete and dont look back. I have over 80k miles on my truck tuned with the delete pipe. I did the math a few months back on the fuel savings vs price of the parts, and the delete parts and tuner payed for itself in 7 months because of fuel savings at an average price per gal of $3.75.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 AM

park it..............or post again in 50,000 miles..................tuning will not void your warranty for bumper to bumper....at most dealers.. if you are concerned about the health of the truck..... deleting is the best thing you can do
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by issyrog View Post
50000 mi left on warranty, fuel mileage without voiding bumper to bumper? tall order? added power would be nice but it isn't nessacary to rip the tonque off my 30ft trailor. any ideas appreciated.

We always advise folks that once they tune their truck to re-install ALL their stock components back onto their trucks (if still under warranty) before taking it back for any dealer/warranty issues. Therefore, the CYA aspect of things is handled. Once tuned, mileage and performance gains are significant. If you run one of our tunes written and designed for towing, you have built in safeties to handle heavy loads, and still provide the power you need.

Last edited by SPARTANDIESEL2; 02-03-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: mis-spell
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have an 08 with 8" lift on 37.5s after the lift i was getting around 10.5 mpg average first i put on a superchips tuner that gave 100hp and 1.5 - 2mpg gain at round 12mpg average which still then was not good enough for me so i got a dpf delete pipe that is completely removable so i can put back on if it needs to go to the dealer for something and stacked a SCT live wire on top of the superchips after the install i was getting 26mpg on the highway and around 14mpg city which is now averageing around 18 -19 mpg next is a cold air intake and complete the exhaust with 4" all the way back and im hopeing to get close to 30 mpg on the highway
Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
I have an 08 with 8" lift on 37.5s after the lift i was getting around 10.5 mpg average first i put on a superchips tuner that gave 100hp and 1.5 - 2mpg gain at round 12mpg average which still then was not good enough for me so i got a dpf delete pipe that is completely removable so i can put back on if it needs to go to the dealer for something and stacked a SCT live wire on top of the superchips after the install i was getting 26mpg on the highway and around 14mpg city which is now averageing around 18 -19 mpg next is a cold air intake and complete the exhaust with 4" all the way back and im hopeing to get close to 30 mpg on the highway
How do you stack a tuner on top of a tuner? Heard of stacking a pressure box with a tuner or a module with a tuner. never tuner on tuner
Old 02-03-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3brorce View Post
How do you stack a tuner on top of a tuner? Heard of stacking a pressure box with a tuner or a module with a tuner. never tuner on tuner
I was wondering about that myself. Also how the he'll is he getting 26mpg. My stock truck couldn't get that being towed by a honda civic
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Are you hand calculating or just looking at the in dash lie-o-meter??? Because if your getting 26 mpg, while rolling on 37" tall tires , you have the most efficient 6.4 on earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.