Spartan w/large lift & tires? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan w/large lift & tires?

Guys,
My buddy across the street just got Spartanized yesterday, after choking on my smoke for the past year and a half he couldn't stand it any more. He is running the AFE Stage II CAI, Flow Pro 5" DP Back exhaust (modified for his lift) and the Spartan 275 tune. The truck has roughly 27" of lift and he is running 40" Toyo open country M/T's. He till has the stock trans. My question is he is complaining of the transmission slipping quite a bit, and wants to know if it is normal? I know I get a little slipping every once in a while, but not a lot and not on straight aways. I have not gotten a chance to drive his truck with the tune on it yet to see for myself what is going on as I am working nights. Is anyone running a similar set up with an extreme lift that can offer up advice. Should he kick the tune down to 250 or 210? Upgrade transmission? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 03:24 AM

Those tires put such a strain on the drivetrain to begin with, add a few hundred ponies and it's goodbye stock tranny.....
Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I hope that you are kidding about the 27" of lift. Most guys run 8-10" of lift for 40's. Between the insane driveline angles and the bigger tires I'm sure that it is a huge strain on the tranny even before adding tuning. I would suggest that he re-gear the truck to take some load off of the trans.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yea thats a ton of lift....I mean 12-14 is a lot, but 27inches....holy ****!!! lets see some pics of that bad boy
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

Took a ride with him earlier, and he was just being paranoid. He is very computer illiterate, and has done no research on the engine mods. The only stuff he knows is what he talks to me about. After riding with him, I told him that his truck shifted smoother in 1st and 2nd than mine does with no lift and 33X12.50X17's. I proved it to him with a ride in my rig and eased his mind. As far as the guys with the questions about his lift, I talked to him again and he said 27". The lift is totally custom from the ground up or frame down however you want to look at it, and somewhat adjustable. I know the shop that did the work, put it on a lift, hit the button and we he told them to stop they custom built it from that point from the frame down. The only thing factory below the frame is the axles as far as I can tell. When he originaly got the lift done, he was running 47" tires, but after a year or so he went to 40's and had the shop that built the lift adjust it down just a little due to death wobble. I only have one picture of it with my 10 month old under it playing, its not a great picture but you can see some of the work. I will try to get some better ones if anyone is interested. I don't have much knowledge when it comes to lifts, as I have never had a lifted truck so please excuse any ignorant comments I made. Just relaying what he told me. The one thing I know is that I am 6' tall and with the door open, the floor board hits me between the chest and belly button. As always, thanks for the help and replies.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Spartan w/large lift & tires?-wyatt-truck.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.