Tuner/intake/exhaust packages - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner/intake/exhaust packages

I'm looking to start some modding on my '08 f250 in the near future and am led to believe the best place to start is to get rid of the cat/dpf and throw a tuner on, as well as a cai. I have a few questions. First, which tuner would most of you prefer, an h&s mini maxx or a spartan? Also if i go with h&s, do i buy from ptp or go with kem and their tunes? As far as exhaust, i will not be getting just a delete pipe. It will either be downpipe back or turbo back. How much of a difference will i see between the two and also what difference will i see between a 4" and a 5" exhaust? I'm also curious who you guys prefer as far as exhaust companies. Thanks for any help guys, i know its alot of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I did all the mods in my signature a week ago today and I am really happy with the results. I went with a H&S Mini Maxx because a few friends of mine have them and have nothing but good to say. My down pipe back exhaust is Flo Pro. Again friends have it and like it. I had a S&B CAI on my previous truck, liked it so went the same way now. My local diesel shop said to go with the Plo Pro EGR delete kit. I bought everything local (I have a local business myself) to support the local economy. I could have saved a couple hundred by buying from one of the vendors here. From all my reading you will be happy with either H&S or Spartan as they are both quality products.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How bad was the egr delete?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 PM

From what I have read because I'm about to delete myself is spartan and H&S is an opinion thing, if some is running ether one theey say they love it. I'm going with spartan because of the fact that they have 25 tunes with 350 being the highest. Now as for exhaust I read that 5 inch sounds better but u will not see more performance one compaired to the other. I'm staying away from the replacement of the down pipe because u can only go from I think its 3 1/2 to 4 inch max and was told u don't get much out of it unless its a race truck. From seeing comments about ptp I would go with them, plus they have helped me out with a lot of my questions.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM

I just bought a cai, spartan tuner, and delete pipe, for now, from ptp all in a package deal and it was an awesome price. I figured get the delete pipe first then save up some more money for an exhaust down the road. Ptp has been really quick on the shipping to I sent my order yesterday and all ready got the cai at my door today everything else should be here Tuesday. I agree with Dylan08 with the Spartan it has so many hp options you can find one that works well for yourself about the only thing it doesn't do is shift on the fly but no biggy imo.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had heard spartan was having some troubles at one point with their trans programming. Has that been resolved?
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1 View Post
I had heard spartan was having some troubles at one point with their trans programming. Has that been resolved?
I've been running spartan for a while now and have never had any trans issues. In fact I don't recall seeing anything on these forums about that, not sure where you heard it but I have no reason to believe there's any truth to it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Banned

there are all sorts of threads about tranny problems with spartans, would anybody suggest custom tunes? if so who would you go with, i would like to stay away from "box" tunes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

This is the second time I have heard to stay away from canned or box tunes. Where do you get custom tunes? Does ptp sell them? I assume there are tunes for different power levels and also driving styles? Basically, where does the average joe go to get them? Where do the KEM tunes come from?

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levan4076 View Post
there are all sorts of threads about tranny problems with spartans, would anybody suggest custom tunes? if so who would you go with, i would like to stay away from "box" tunes
Correlation does not equal causation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.