Scared of blowing head gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scared of blowing head gaskets

I have run the Spartan 250 tune for 30k so far and am pretty happy with it.
Now since updating my tuning files I would like to try out the 275 or 300 tunes for the added power and MPG. But, it looks to me like most that have blown their head gaskets have done it running these tunes. I really don't want to do studs/head gaskets, should I stay away from the 275/300 tunes? I don't beat on or push too hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go ahead and step up to the big tunes, you're not going to hurt anything if you drive like you say you do. I ran the 275 for a while and would do some WOT runs every now and then just to put me in a good mood! I'm on the 300 now and am a little scared to do that with this tune...in fact I've probably never gotten on it hard enough to get it over 20 pounds of boost. I just go along with "don't abuse your truck and it won't abuse your wallet" and hope it's right!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:50 PM

How do you not go over 20lbs? Goin up any kind of hill w/ a little emphasis or passing someone w/ half throttle easily goes over 20 for me!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:43 PM

You will be fine just dont drive it like you stole it. I run the 310 tune and i cant remember the last time i actually got on it hard
Old 01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Don't you worry about it

haha I cant get out of my driveway without hitting 20 lbs of boost and its down hill and about 100 ft long haha
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
haha I cant get out of my driveway without hitting 20 lbs of boost and its down hill and about 100 ft long haha
Me tooooooo
Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM

I'm on the 300, hit er hard a couple times. (in 4x4) not interested in doing head gaskets any time soon.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 PM

I hit 51psi on the 275 tune rollin on the throttle from 50-75mph. Hope the gaskets can take it!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore1225 View Post
How do you not go over 20lbs? Goin up any kind of hill w/ a little emphasis or passing someone w/ half throttle easily goes over 20 for me!!!
Well I've never even taken it to half throttle on the 300 tune, plus if you move to central IL all you'll see is flat roads. I drive it like an old man with MPG in mind and enjoy watching everyone around me racing off just to get to the next red light first while I just take my time and roll up as it turns green. I don't get why people are always in such a hurry. It cracks me up to see people behind me getting all sorts of pissed off and then when they're able to they floor it to get around me, just to stop right in front of me at the next light ... rinse and repeat all the way across town then we still both get to the same place at the same time. Maybe I'm just getting old (31)!

I did actually think the airflow was really low on the 300. I switched straight to the 300 from the 210 tow tune and just based on feel and sound when I would thought I should be around 15 pounds (based on driving the 210 for a while) I would look at the monitor and see 5-8 pounds. Couldn't believe the difference in airflow between the two. I guess the 210 tow tune was forcing more air through thinking that I was pulling weight? Either way I'm all but positive I've never been above 20 pounds on the 300. I got the tuner to extend the life of my truck (DPF delete) as well as the increased fuel economy. The added power is nice to have if I need it but I have no reason to be hard on it and just want it to last another 10 years without problems.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
LOL LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.