Turbo back vs down pipe back exhaust - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo back vs down pipe back exhaust

I'm debating on exhaust. I see turbo backs and down pipe backs. Probably just going to run straight pipes with no mufflers. What would be better and what are the advantages of which ever is better. What brands do you guys recommend, I see some mixed reviews. As for tuners, i want decent power, with a turbo timer, dpf delete, and egr tune off. Extreme tunes are not neccessary, I tear apart plenty of 6.0s and Cummins with melted and blown up pistons at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Funny, just researching this. I don't know enough to figure whether to go just downpipe back or turbo back.

I've got emission testing where I'm at so I want ease of removal too. I'll be watching this one.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by it8eazy View Post
I'm debating on exhaust. I see turbo backs and down pipe backs. Probably just going to run straight pipes with no mufflers. What would be better and what are the advantages of which ever is better. What brands do you guys recommend, I see some mixed reviews. As for tuners, i want decent power, with a turbo timer, dpf delete, and egr tune off. Extreme tunes are not neccessary, I tear apart plenty of 6.0s and Cummins with melted and blown up pistons at work.
No need in a turbo timer. These trucks are stout in stock form. Pretty reliable with big tunes. Do some research, you'll learn that pretty quick.

With a tuner, intake, and exhaust you can make a reliable 550 horsepower (yes, dyno proven, track proven horsepowe) with a stock motor and stock transmission.

As far the exhaust, I recommend either MBRP or Diamond Eye. Turbo back or downpipe back is going to be fine. Problem with the downpipe is that the stock needs to be cut out unless you move the transmission over or remove the cab. If you want to keep your stock downpipe intact, I suggest running a downpipe back exhaust. If your not that worried about it or want to spend the time to keep in one piece, go with a turbo back kit.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would love to hear more on this post myself. I am preparing to do an exhaust upgrade myself. I'm not sure if the work and money is worth swaping the downpipe. I love the look of duals but want the best sound. Does the single sound better than the duals?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i have a single 5'' down pipe back and it sounds awesome!!!! i have heard that the 4" exhaust quiets it down a bit ,also duals sound and look great but most installs require removal of the spare tire , Not sure you would notice or need the power of the turbo back exhaust ,unless you were at the track all the time ,then i think its just a minimal gain , good luck with your discision , you wont be disappointed!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Good to know guys, thanks. What about the bungs? Are they necessary? If so, with what tuners. Hope I'm not stepping on toes by firing off a bunch of questions.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongate View Post
Good to know guys, thanks. What about the bungs? Are they necessary? If so, with what tuners. Hope I'm not stepping on toes by firing off a bunch of questions.
no bungs or pyro sensors needed with the h and s tuners
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You do not need bungs with the Spartan Phalanx.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...mart&Itemid=54

http://www.rivercitydiesel.com/index...mart&Itemid=54

these are the two kits I was debating on.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
i always say if your gonna do it , do it right !! looks like your on the right track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.