Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How much to overlap new exhaust pieces?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  KMarlatt 
#1 ·
Currently installing the 5" downpipe back w/ muffler. How much of a connection do I need between the pipe pieces? More than the depth of the cuts in the pipe? I used wd40 but still very difficult to get more than 1.5" overlap.

Thanks.

#2 ·
Who made your exhaust?

You should be able to insert the tube to the bottom of the expanded section, yours might not be round.
Accuseal band clamps work better for this, but you really need a min of 2" overlap. 3" is better so vibrations don't make it separate.

Call the dealer you bought it from or the manufacturer.

#5 ·
Not sure if I'm understanding you 100% ...

The muffler will be 5" ID on both ends and the tubing is 5" OD so the tube should just slip into the muffler unless it isn't round or there's a burr causing the tube to hang up.

Tube to tube joints will need to have one of the pieces expanded as they are both 5" OD.

With 5" tube it's sometimes hard see the difference in diameter where it's been expanded.

If you have pieces that should have been expanded and are not you need to call your dealer or the manufacturer as it's a factory mistake. Your just not going to fit the pieces together properly with just the notches in the tube.

Post pics if you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.