Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I need help deciding.....

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  travisH3 
#1 · (Edited)
So my dad says when are you tuning my truck and I told him I'm on it. Soooo
He has dpf back exhaust so I was going to get a dpf delete pipe. What tuner should I get. I see sct 6.4 live wire for sale Then there is h&s Which ones use the bungs in the exhaust still. He tows alot and really drives hard when not towing. What tune should he run. Basically he wants just the trashcan under his truck gone and it to sound more like a diesel. He tows a bobcat t190 and a kubota trackhoe. The trackhoe is heavier. I will get the weight tomorrow. Is there a good all around tune that he could use and not have to switch tunes at all. My specialty is the 6.0. What parameters does he need to be watching. I just need all the info on this. He doesn't need a ton of power either. And how smokey are these 6.4's with the tune you recommend would be nice.
Thanks guys. I'm now going to lurk both 6.0 and 6.4 sections to learn this fancy engine.

O yeah. Truck is. 2010 reg cab long bed 4x4. 12,000 miles and no problems so far.

#3 ·
Spartan. Run the 210 towing tune. Some sort of better air intake. I run the Green Filters brand drop in air filter and have been very happy with it. Then if he ever wants to turn the power up, he will have a nice little race car with that Reg cab.

#7 ·
i didnt know they came out with a sct x3 for the 6.4. hmm. im good with sct cuz i have experience with it, spartan is a new critter for me. is there anything bad or any cons to having an sct vs h&s. honestly i was planning on picking up a used sct livewire, delete pipe and intake. i seen a few for sale in the performance section for sale. and then get him something compareable to the 210 tow like mentioned above but im open to opinions. im excited to get this thing tuned.

#5 ·
h&s mini max he can shift on the fly if he wants!!!! gotta get a s&b or pro guard 7 not just the filter the whole set up. then a 4in down tube and 5in exhuast itll run n tow no problems. the air intake and and down tube n exhuast will help with high egts cant just throw dpf delete pipe on it and expect low egts still with a tuner also hs uses no bungs

#6 ·
#8 ·
towing is usually around 12,000 pounds, sometimes a little more, it just depends on the day and what machine needs to be at what job

#9 ·
Why do you feel the need for a full intake and not just the drop in filter? Everyone says it, but no one gives a reason? Talk me into upgrading mine. I live on a dirt road, never found the slightest bit of dust past the filter. Filter minder hardly ever moves at all. And I made 543hp/1231ft lbs on a dirty Green filter DPF Delete Kits from Pure Automotive Group - 2008-Up Ford F250 F350 Powerstroke 6.4L Turbo Diesel Drop-In Green Air Filter

the filter does all the FILTERING work so im glad ur GREEN FILTER is working and not letting dirt past it BUT why do people up grade there exhuast systems not just leave them stock?!?!?!? for the same reason i BELIEVE u gotta do the whole air intake FLOW AND POWER they flow better air and there for provide cooler egts and more horsepower ur numbers could of been way better if u had a whole system i bet every 1 with atermarket air intakes PULL the filter minders in why????????? cause there sucking that much AIR n u aint why??? u tell me!!!!!

#10 ·
Forgive me for being blunt, but either you don't understand how things work or your an idiot. I am mainly saying that because people that type with lots of ????????? and !!!!!!!!!! really aggravate me.

That being said. You have no idea what the filter minder does. The filter minder detects restriction. It is between the filter and the turbo. When the filter gets blocked, the restriction increases and the filter minder is pulled in. If your filter minder gets pulled in, the filter is restricting power. I am trying to give the original poster good info. Real info. I'm not just repeating what my friends, cousins, mother said she read a guy on the internet did. If I can run the spartan 310 without moving the filter minder, It will work perfect running a towing tune and save around $200. I have not seen any cold air intakes that really pull any cooler air then the factory box does. My intake air temp is normally only about 5-10 degrees higher than outside time.

#12 · (Edited)
will do^^^^, anyone with experience with the sct tuning on these 6.4?

so if i tune the truck and get an intake and use for example the 210 tow, is this truck going to be a reliable work vehicle or does this put me in danger with stock tranny etc. basically will the truck hold up to the tune. sorry i just want to know everything. i wish i started researching earlier. i just dont know what the weaknesses of the 6.4 is like i do the 6.0 do i still need to be watching the oil vs coolant temp delta like the 6.0. that is the stuff i need to know
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.