Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stock pyro vs. aftermatrket pyro

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  larry782 
#1 ·
So I'm about to order the mini Max and saw that it can monitor Pyro by both the stock sensor or a after market sensor kit. I'm not sure what the difference is? Is the Pyro kit for other makes that maybe do not monitor Pyro? Thanks

#5 ·
from what i can see it seems pretty close. The temps shown seem to be pretty much in line with what others see at the same speeds and road conditions. I am sure all gauges and sensors will vary some but i think it gives a very good indication to help prevent turbo damage.JMHO

#6 ·
I was told that the kit with the add on pyro is for other brands that don't come with one from the factory. All the mini/black maxx's for different brands are the same unit just different software, so if you want 2 different pyros (pre and post turbo?) then get the one with the add-on pyro. Otherwise just get the one without it. You can read the factory pyro with either one. I hope that makes sense.

#7 ·
the 6.4 is pretty much the only truck ,currently ,that comes with a stock pyro sensor.. this was added because of all of the melt down issues associated with the 6.0. navastar wanted a way to shut the motor down if it got too hot....so for the 6.4 u do not need to add an after-market pyro.....this is a bonus because that would be the most involved portion of having to DIY install.....its in the manifold...pre turbo, like its supposed to be... all pyros are nothing more than simple thermocouples....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.