Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the 6.4 and need help

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  wedivebc 
#1 ·
Just bought a 08 and love the truck but im getting 10 mpg.
Any suggestions guys?

#2 ·
I bumped mine up to 15mpg just by careful driving and using cruise control. I will however be picking up a dpf delete on Monday which along with my H&S Mini Maxx should bump it up a bit more. will report back here when I have some numbers.

#5 ·
Easy on the throttle, try to keep boost under 10PSI and RPM's under 2000. thsi will help some.
+1 with the deletes

Also LooK at Fuel additives I use an AMSOIL product and do see a difference in long trips.

Cheers

#6 ·
If you crawl under your truck you will see that your exhaust has like 3 mufflers. If you buy a dpf delete and get a tuner either spartan or H&S you will notice a big difference in how the truck runs and what you get for MPG

#10 ·
Buy a cummins. (pre emissions of course) But in all seriousness some guys say you can get upwards of 18 with the doc/dpf delete and a tuner. I see about 12-13 stock, I can get 15 hiway if I'm really nice to it (boost under 20, rpm under 2K as much as possible) I have used powerservice and a few others without any difference in mpg. What gearing do you have? city hiway mix? Stock tires/size? lift? Jack rabbit starts? Idle allot? Carrying around extra weight? Just a few things that can make a difference.

#13 ·
My truck is stock except for soft tonneau cover. I typically get between 13-14 mpg per tank. That's about 60% highway and 40% city driving. All highway I get 18 mpg average per tank. If I'm towing, I get 10 mpg. These are hand calculated mpg's and are all within 0.1 mpg of what the meter on the truck says I'm getting. I reset the meter each time I fill up.

I don't know too much about the DPF deletes and tuners because my State is does emissions and testing. However, based on the customer support I see Spartan give people on this and other websites, if your going to tune and delete, I would strongly recommend talking to Jeff Dodd at Spartan. The guy races his ride and knows what he's talking about.

Good luck with your truck. Easy on the right foot always helps mpg!

#14 ·
I am not able to comment on the accuracy of the fuel consumption gauge as I have not done any hand calculations yet but I know this, my mileage went from 14-15mpg up to 19-20mpg after deleting my cat and DPF. I am pretty confident in the relative improvement even if the numbers aren't exact. I am amazed by the power increase. Even though I tried to be really conservative during my mileage test when some F150 started riding my back bumper I couldn't help but leave him in a little black cloud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.